six. christiana

Charlotte and Christiana were sitting at a corner booth at a nearby cafe, purposefully avoiding the one where the former usually went with her colleagues from drama school after class or rehearsal. They were both sipping on their own ice coffee, each in its own tall glass with a bendy straw and whipped cream on top, until Charlotte asked the question again.

"Promise me you won't laugh, or-or tell your drama club pals, or your mom, or your brother, alright?" Christiana pleaded, looking at the other girl with eyes filled with so much worry, some of it mirrored onto Charlotte, who was growing concerned at the fact that the girl had stolen something, or was there to sabotage or spy on them.

"Yeah, I promise." Charlotte whispered, nodding earnestly and feeling like she was about to find out a state secret of equal importance to the Americans' nuclear codes. She wasn't sure if the UK had any nukes, and to be frank, she didn't want to know.

"I..." the girl started, looking to the side before her gaze fell to her lap and her hands that rested in it, "I want to be an actress."

There was a pause in which Charlotte watched the girl with slight disappointment in her surprise, and Christiana waited to be laughed at.

"You want to be an actress? That's it?" Charlotte asked, "That's all there is?"

Christiana nodded shyly, and the brunette leaned back in her seat, a hand over her heart, "Whew. I though you were there to assassinate someone."

The blonde looked up slowly, starting to laugh along until they were both comfortable enough in each other's company to keep asking and answering questions to get to know each other better.

"So if you want to be an actress, why don't you apply to my mom's school?" Charlotte took a sip of her coffee.

"I... I did, but... we can't afford it." Christiana explained, shifting awkwardly in her seat.

Carla's school was on the fancier side, as an audition was required for you to get into the school, and the woman was the sole member of the jury, and then there was the scholarship, which wasn't big, but wasn't small either, as it had to cover the cost of the electricity used up by the lights, the fabrics for the costumes and the tools used to make the scenography.

Charlotte shifted in her seat as well; she didn't have to pay the scholarship. She wondered if any of her classmates were aware of that. She wanted to ask the girl if she asked her mother if she could pay her back over time, but then she remembered they were talking about her mother, Carla Vaughan, who wouldn't accept a student for free into her school even if they had as much talent as Leonardo Di Caprio, who, as she often pointed out, was severely robbed of an Oscar.