( 2 )

"It's really not nice to stare, you know." I snapped, glaring up at the guard outside of my boss's office.

Although I didn't know him too well, I knew enough about him to know it wasn't the best idea to mess with him. But I was always one to test the limits.

His name was Morte Ressurexit. He towered over me, at least 6 feet tall. His look screamed "never got over my emo phase". His hair was black, long, with dark red streaks running through it. His eyes were a vibrant scarlet color- I had thought at first they were contacts, but was later informed that it was his natural eye color. Which was just.. odd.

"I'd watch my mouth if I were you, Leon. There are quite a few people who aren't very happy with you right now." Morte growled, his eyes fiery and his attitude dangerous.

I put my hands up in mock defeat. "Right, my bad. I'm supposed to be scared of you, right?" I rolled my eyes, putting a hand on the doorknob and turning it. "Now if you don't mind, I'm a little busy, and I have her to reason with."

He didn't stop me, stepping aside to allow me in. Everyone in the office had a huge respect for, and a 'healthy' amount of fear of Faye. Even me. I stepped into her office, closing the door and casually taking a seat in one of the chairs pulled up to her desk. "You asked for me, Faye?" I tried to shake the nerves out of my voice.

I folded my hands in my lap, trying to keep them from fidgeting around as I looked at the woman seated across from me.

Her name was Faye Black. She was rather tall, about as tall as Morte, with long blond hair, and vibrant green eyes that could melt any man's heart. She might look like a Barbie Doll, but she was tough as nails, and was known for taking down men twice her size. Roughing up her own employees gained her a lot of respect.

Good tactic, if you ask me.

"Don't act, Salvatore." Her voice was cold, sending a chill down my spine. "You know exactly why you're here. This is about your run in with Mendoza, that little nuisance. And I'm sure you also have a valid explanation as to why you completely failed your mission? Our client is very... displeased. And now that falls on me and my business. You knew the importance of this task. So tell me, what went so horribly wrong that you couldn't pick off one little pest?"

So, that had been Dean Mendoza. To the city, a faceless, nameless, vigilante. A hero. To us, a threat, and a menace.

"I ran into a Raven, which in itself wasn't a problem. The problem arose when I took a little bit of a tumble off of a building." I combed a hand through my hair. It was still messy from my little jog through the city. "That was when I ran into Dean. He uh... saved me, actually." I could feel my face warm up a bit. It was rather humiliating to be rescued by an enemy.

"And he just let you go?" Faye arched an eyebrow at me, leaning up against the desk.

"No- well- kind of. He kind of let me go. I got a head start. He tried to place a tracker on me. I took care of all of that." I paused, shifting uncomfortably in the hard office chair. "But, he was definitely looking for me... He called me by my name, Faye."

"So, there's a rat, you think?" She released a heavy sigh. "Of course there is. Because someone ratting out my head assassin, and fucking up the biggest hit of this year is exactly what I needed this week." Faye grabbed a pen, opening a notebook on her desk and scrawling something down furiously.

"You know we'll have to transfer you for a while. Maybe a couple of months out in California. Long enough that he forgets about you, maybe give him the idea that you died, got fired, something like that. Last thing I need is the wrong people getting their hands on you, Leon. Ravens, or mysterious vigilantes. So, pack up right away. I'll make a couple calls and get you a flight for Wednesday." She looked up at me briefly, and I just nodded. Suddenly, I only had two days left in the Big Apple.

"And Leon? As far as anyone else knows, you're fired. I don't care who asks, I fired you. I'm not taking any risks with this. Right now, we can't trust anyone. Understood?" Her voice softened slightly as she spoke again. "I know it's hard. It's not the first time and it won't be the last. But I have to keep you safe."

I just nodded again. My throat felt dry, and at this point I didn't even know what to say. Sure, I was used to being moved around and transferred, but never for a reason like this. Never because I was the one in danger. I stood up, and she rose to meet me, extending her hand. I shook it gently. Her eyes shone genuine pity. "I'm sorry, Leon. I really am. Go home. Pack. Rest. It's going to be a long week for you." She tore a page out of her notebook, folding it and shoving it into my hand. "You're dismissed. And fired." She cracked a bit of a smile, and I tried to return it.

I turned, quietly exiting the office, briskly walking down the hall towards the elevator without looking at Morte. To my shock, he didn't say anything, but I could feel his eyes on me until I was in the safety of the elevator. Something about that just gave me chills.

It was terrifying not knowing who I could trust.