( 8 )

I pulled my feet off the table, straightening out and watching with curious eyes as his presence silenced the entire room. I could see why Dean had warned me about him. He was large, buff, and downright scary looking. But, like most of the men in the room, dressed up in a suit and tie. I was painfully aware of the way my entire body stiffened as his eyes fell on me. His gaze stayed locked on me as he took his spot as the head of the table, across from where Dean and I were seated.

I really didn't like the way he was looking at me.

When he spoke, he addressed Dean, finally taking his eyes off of me. "Mendoza, I take it things went smoothly for you this time?" His voice was stern, but he still appeared to be pleased with Dean. He stood, and I glanced up at him with a blank expression. I didn't need to show anyone what I was feeling.

"Yes, Sir. I present to you, Leon Salvatore, head assassin of Black Corporation." Dean grabbed me by the arm, pulling me up to stand beside him. There was light applause, and a brief hushed whisper that passed between those at the table. I shifted on my feet, trying to ignore the fact that every eye in the room was on me. I didn't do well with being the center of attention. Obviously, I preferred to do my thing on the sideline, in the shadows.

Once the room was silent again, the Boss spoke. "Mendoza, I have to say that I am quite pleased with your accomplishment. I do wish to hold a private meeting with you after this to discuss... previous events. But I ask now that you give us your report."

Dean let go of my arm, clearing his throat before beginning. "As you know, here with me is Mr. Salvatore, from the very long line of Salvatore assassins. He works as head assassin at Black Corporation and has worked and traveled lots throughout this country and others. Black Corporation is an international ring of assassins disguised as a worldwide bank. Leon is also one of the few left alive who know the exact location of the Assassin's Tree-"

A shiver ran down my spine as he spoke. I should've known- why else would they want me so badly? The Assassin's Tree. I hadn't even thought about it.

"-we aren't sure of the exact purpose or significance of the 'tree', but we do know it would hold great value to us if found, and could give us a real upperhand in disbanding rings such as Black Corporation. It has been guarded for generations, but we plan to use him to uncover it." He sounded so calm, and so sure.

I would never give them what they wanted, though. And they would find that out quickly enough.

"-and to anyone who may have to 'work' with him, you'll find he's quite stubborn, but I'm certain with some persuasion, he'd be willing to work with us." Taking a deep breath, Dean finished, sitting down. I stayed standing.

He's crazy.

"You're crazy." I didn't know the words were leaving my mouth until they inevitably did. I clenched my fists. "You're all absolutely delusional if you think I'd ever be willing to work with you." My voice had gone shockingly cold, and my spiteful glare landed on the Boss. "I can promise you, that information will die with me. You won't get what you want. Never. You're a crazy bastard."

Dean looked up at me like I was insane. Maybe I was. I didn't care.

Those at the table watched with bated breath as the Boss rose, circling around the table towards me. "Trust me, Leon. I am not someone you want to mess with." I straightened my back, moving away from the table and taking the last few steps to meet him in the middle.

"Try me, bitch." The words had barely left my mouth when his fist came flying at my face. I ducked out of the way, and his fist just narrowly missed my head.

He was big, and strong, but his size made him slow. It gave me an advantage and more time to react.

He continued to throw his fists at my face, and it became a sort of song and dance. He would act, and I would block, dodge, and eventually sneak in a blow to his jaw. Nobody stopped us, how could they, anyways?

"You gonna keep playing games, or are you gonna send that little bitch to the hospital?"

A voice I didn't recognize.

My concentration broke for a fraction of a second.

A well aimed blow sent his fist colliding into my head.

I raised an arm, attempting to block further harm to my skull. The hard hit had already begun to disorientate me. My vision blurred.

I think he hit me again. A third time?

I felt a sharp pain in my head and a ringing in my ears. I stumbled. Maybe I fell. Maybe he hit me again.

I only know that my world went dark.