( 19 )

I had been pacing around my living room for at least half an hour. Deliberating. Debating. The unopened package sat on the coffee table. I had been too frightened to open it.

Why was my mother trying to reach me after all these years? How did she find me?

Finally, I reached some sort of decision, picking up the Nokia that sat next to the box. I had lost my main phone sometime in the past few days.

Reluctantly, I dialed up my Father. Anxiety flooded my veins as I listened to the phone ring. Once. Twice.

"Leon?"

"Father," I exhaled heavily, continuing to pace.

"What is it?" I could pick up on the annoyance in his voice. He must've been busy.

"I got a package from Mother." There was silence that stretched on for longer than I would've liked.

"Did you open it?" His voice had gotten lower, secretive. I could hear some scattered voices in the background.

"No... Not yet. Should I?" I sat down on the couch, picking the box up and shaking it just a little. There was the faint sound of metal clanging together.

"Maybe. Does it say where it shipped from?" I took a quick glance at the packaging.

"Nope... I think I'll just open it... What's the worst that could happen?" I began to pick at the packaging tape. My stubby nails had a bit of trouble peeling it.

"Don't say that. You'll jinx yourself." I used my shoulder to hold the phone against my ear as I opened up the box. My hands began to shake once more. An envelope sitting on top caught my eye.

"There's a note." I set the open box on the floor as I tore open the envelope. "Here we go... 'Dearest Leonardo, I hope this package reaches you well. I know it has been a long time, and you have every right to be angry with me, but please hear me out. I know there are people looking for you. I know they succeeded in capturing you once. If you have received this, I am hoping that means you are a free man once more. I instructed Jerzie to deliver it to you on your safe arrival home. You can trust her. With that being said, you are in grave danger, though I'm sure you know. I can shelter you. You will not be safe on your own. I need you to trust me. I wrote my home phone number on the back of this note. Use the map to find my location. There is a set of keys in the box. The smaller key is to my apartment. The larger key is to the truck I have left in the parking garage for you. I hope you find the rest of my little gifts useful as well. I hope to see you soon. Love, Mary.'"

"Did I hear you correctly? You got snagged and I'm just now finding out?" His voice rose with a hint of anger.

"Father. That's not the point. Besides, I just got home today. How was I supposed to notify you?" I felt the anger starting to lace my voice, and I stuffed it back down. Now was not the time to fight. "I'm sorry. But it's over now. I'm safe. Should I go see Mother or not?"

There was a heavy sigh from the other end of the line. The background noise had completely ceased. "It couldn't hurt to go. Just... don't be stupid, Leon. And if you find yourself in danger, fight like Hell, boy." A beat of silence. "I love ya, kid. Be safe out there."

"I will be, Father... thank you..." My voice trailed off as the line dropped dead. I couldn't remember the last time my Father had told me he loved me. He was always dead set on tough love, and to him it meant never expressing any sorts of affection.

Tossing the Nokia aside, I lifted the box onto my lap once more and began to examine the contents. A lock picking kit, a set of keys, a box of bullets, and a gun case. Carefully, I took the case out of the box, opening it up to reveal a gorgeous handgun.

"Holy shit..." The Mustang of handguns, an SVI Tiki-T. It was certainly a sight to behold. But why the Hell would my Mother send me such an expensive gun?

I laid all the new trinkets out on the coffee table, my foot thumping against the floor as I weighed my options. Ignore her invitation, or meet her. Either way, I felt something was wrong with the entire situation. I wasn't sure how, or why, she would know so much about me. It was especially strange to me that she knew of my disappearance while Father hadn't a single clue.

If it was a trap, the only thing I could do was prepare myself ahead of time.

And that's exactly what I was going to do.