( 22 )

Eventually, the buzzing reached my ears, and I snapped out of the trance I was in, scrambling to pull my phone from my pocket. I had barely missed answering the call. It was another unknown number. I gave it some time, waiting to see if whomever called would leave a message.

About a minute later, a notification popped up. 'Voicemail from Unknown'.

I put the phone to my ear, pressing play.

A familiar voice crackled through the speaker.

"Hey Leon. Why didn't you tell me you have such a nice apartment? That view was gorgeous."

Dean... Dean, in my apartment?

"That girl at the desk was lovely too, real sweet. Jerzie, I think that's what her name tag said. She was so concerned about you, and she jumped at the chance to help your poor, worried sick boyfriend get into the apartment after you went missing again."

There was a pause, the information he was feeding me slowly sunk in.

"But, you're with your mother now, aren't you? Mary? That's why you missed my call, isn't it? Her, and her boyfriend Paul, his son Joseph. I'm sure they're keeping you busy, lots of years to catch up on... You know, I really liked working with Paul when I went down south. Really friendly guy. It was nice to see him again today."

That hit me like a train. Paul worked with Dean. They knew each other, and Dean had seen him today. Which had to mean that Dean was already close, and in contact with Paul, maybe even now.

"But anyways, I'll be seeing you soon. Enjoy dinner, Leon."

The voicemail ended there. Hand shaking, I brought the phone away from my ear. My entire body trembled, wrecked with nerves.

Paul... Paul was in on it, wasn't he? He had to be, with the way Dean talked.

I really didn't know what to do now. I had to leave, and I had to leave soon. There's no way this place would be safe for me if Dean had connections to Paul. And who knew what lies Dean would tell to get Paul to trust him.

I fell into a spiral of thoughts, plans, trying to figure out where I could possibly go from here.

But I was drawn out of those thoughts when I heard my Mother calling to me from outside the door.

"Leon, honey, dinner's ready if you'd like to come out."

"Just a minute." I pushed a trembling hand through my hair, trying to steady my breathing. I didn't know if I could face Paul right now. I was afraid of what would happen going forward.

Regardless, I stood, taking my time as I made my way out of the bedroom, eventually joining them in the kitchen area. There were four plates set out on the counter, a veggie and rice dish, 3 of the plates topped with chicken, 1 without. Everyone was seated already. Paul was at the head of the counter, Mother and Joseph sat next to each other, across from where my plate was set. There was an empty chair to the left of me, between myself and Paul. I was thankful for the distance.

There was an awkward silence that blanketed the room until Mother spoke. "I'm glad you're joining us. We were just about to say grace." She bowed her head, clasping her hands together in prayer. Paul and Joseph did the same. I awkwardly bowed my head down.

"Bless us, O Lord, and these thy gifts, which we are about to receive from thy bounty, through Christ our Lord. And Lord, thank you for bringing my son safely home to me, that we may all be together under the same roof again. Amen." My Mother's voice was soft yet certain, and when I looked up, I met her eyes. She flashed me a smile that I couldn't return. I couldn't get over the uneasy feeling that sat in my stomach.