( 17 )

Dean had guided me back into the cabin, and I was seated alone in the living room. He was sitting at the dining table, speaking quietly on the phone.

I raked a hand through my hair. My forehead was drenched in sweat, and my hands had been shaking non-stop since my... episode.

I turned to look at Dean as he approached the living room, appearing very focused on his conversation. "Yes sir... No sir. Right away sir..." There was a pause in the conversation. Dean flinched. "Goodbye, sir."

He hung up, dropping his phone on the coffee table and exhaling heavily. He glared at me, but his gaze softened soon after. "Leon.." He sat down on the couch, closer to me than I wanted him to be. "How long has it been since you took your pills?"

I let my head fall into my hands. I didn't want to look at him. "I don't know. A week. Maybe more." I had stopped taking them because, truthfully, I was lonely. I needed the comfort of the voices again. I needed something. The silence was always too much for me.

"And you didn't think to mention any of this sooner?"

I didn't respond.

I heard him sigh, and then he pulled my hands away from my face, holding them between his own. I was certain he could feel them shake. His hands were warm. I still refused to look at him. He didn't understand. No one ever did.

"I had quite a lot on my plate, in case you hadn't noticed." I pulled my hands away from him, and put some distance between us on the beaten leather couch. He was the reason I was here. He was the one who brought me here. This was his fault.

"Well... the Boss suggested having someone go to your apartment in New York and get your... things."

My 'things'? My medication. How hard was it to say that?

I scoffed. "Oh yes, because I would love to have one of his men ransack my home. What a fantastic idea." Did he think I was stupid?

"Okay... I suppose I see the issue with that. If I went, and someone else came to supervise you here, would that be better?" Dean suggested this calmly, like it was no big deal. It was definitely a big deal.

"I don't need a babysitter. I'm schizophrenic, not a toddler." I grumbled, standing up and walking away from the couch. I kept my back turned to him. "Why can't you just take me home, genius?" Idiot.

"Oh." It was like a lightbulb had gone off in that stupud head of his. "Right. I suppose I could do that."

"You're stupid." I flopped myself down on the recliner near the fireplace, which now crackled with flame. It was a comforting warmth.

"Thanks, Leon." Dean plucked his phone up off the table, dialing a number and putting it to his ear as it rang. With a huff, he stood, crossing to the door and stepping out onto the porch.

What a rookie mistake.

Once I was sure he was staying outside, I got back up, making my way to the dining room. I knew he had left his keys on the table during his original phone call. Convenient. Having his car would make things much easier. I snatched them up, before slipping up the stairs and hurrying towards the balcony at the end of the hall.

I opened and closed the door as quietly as I could, stepping out onto the balcony.

This is it.

I took a deep breath. The smell of freedom. It was so close. I shoved the keys into my pocket and climbed over the balcony railing. The wood of the cabin had plenty of spots for me to grip as I descended. It didn't take much time at all for my feet to reach the ground. I wasn't new to this.

I listened closely for Dean's voice as I edged around the side of the cabin. My footsteps were silent on the grass, and I had steadied my breathing to silence it as well. After all, sneaking around was sort of my specialty.

I heard the front door open and close as Dean retreated into the house. Surely he would notice my absence soon.

I made a mad dash for the Caprice, throwing open the driver's door and hopping inside.

I stuck the key in the ignition, and the Caprice roared to life. I saw Dean's face appear in the window of the cabin, and I could almost hear him yell "Fuck!" as he disappeared again.

I had never backed out of a driveway so fast in my life.

Once I was on the road, I fled like a bat out of Hell, kicking up gravel as the Caprice sped down the road.

I was really doing this. I was going home.

I was going to be free, and I was going to stay free.

Good job, Leon.