( 15 )

The two hour drive flew by way faster than I had expected. There was minimal bickering between Dean and I, and I managed to doze off for half the drive.

Dean finally pulled the Caprice into the driveway of the summer home, slowing the car as it bumped over gravel. As he put it into park, he looked over at me. "Well? What do you think?"

I practically jumped out of the car, happy to get out and stretch my legs again. I did a full 360, taking in the sight. The cabin-like home was settled in the middle of a forest, a flowing creek running into the little lake nearby. The trees were large, covering the forest floor and blocking out most of the sunlight. The sound of birdsong trickled through the air, calming my nerves if only for a moment.

"It's beautiful." A small smile tugged at the corner of my lips.

"I'm glad you like it." He murmured, moving to the back of the car and popping the trunk open. Conversation seemed a little less tense now, neither of us on edge as we were before.

Leaving him behind to deal with his luggage, I stepped towards the door, hopping up the porch steps. Wandering around the porch, my attention wavered towards the tree line.

Just beyond the creek, I spotted a small fawn. The gentle creature was springing along the water's edge, not a single care in the world. The wind kicked up ever so slightly as the fawn suddenly stopped, slipping on the wet bank after the abrupt halt.

With a sharp turn of it's head, I locked eyes with the fawn.

The world fell quiet as I watched the fawn, and time appeared to stop for a brief moment. It was peaceful, and calming.

I could get used to this.

"Leon, mind helping me with some of these boxes?" Dean called to me from the car, interrupting whatever train of thought I was about to go down.

"What?" I turned to him, taking a second to process his request. I saw the fawn take off into the forest out of the corner of my eye.

"Will you help-"

"Oh, right, yeah. Sorry." I cut him off unintentionally as I realized what he had asked, stepping down off the porch and making my way back over to the car. He was carrying three cardboard boxes, the smallest box on top of the stack marked 'FRAGILE' in bright red.

I peeked into the trunk, picking up two suitcases that were tucked inside. I trudged after Dean, rolling the suitcases along the gravel path. He set his boxes down on the porch, pulling a key from his pocket and unlocking the door.

He led the way into the cabin after picking up the boxes again, and I followed behind him. I paused in the doorway, observing my new surroundings once more. Directly across from the entrance was a grand staircase leading to the second floor. There were doors on either side of the stairs. To the right was a living room. Where the fireplace sat dormant and cold. To the left, a dining room. A long table with six chairs. Above me I noticed a grand chandelier, staring up at it and watching the light reflect the crystals on the ceiling.

After scoping out the first floor, I rolled the suitcases over to the base of the staircase, leaving them there. Dean had slipped into the door on the left, leaving me alone for a moment. Quietly, I snuck up the stairs, deciding to have a look around. At the top of the stairs was a hallway, with three doors in total. At the end of the hall was a glass door leading out to a small balcony.

I picked the singular door on the right, opening it up and slipping inside. A mere glance at the room told me this was the master. In the center of the wall was the large king bed, covered in the fluffiest blankets I had ever seen. With the newfound energy of a child, I threw myself among the blankets, wrapping myself up briefly in the cozy warmth.

"Leon?" I heard Dean call my name from downstairs.

Hide.

Shooting up, I looked around and found the door to the closet. I ducked inside and submerged myself in darkness. Scooting into the farthest corner, I sat, tucking my knees to my chest. I waited, listening intently.

I wasn't sure why I had this sudden urge to hide from Dean. He hadn't really hurt me thus far. He had taken care of my wounds and fed me, comforted me. But really... None of this was right. I had been kidnapped, adult-napped? And above all, Dean was my captor.

He was the enemy.

He was not my friend.

And I needed to get the Hell out of here.