( 20 )

I had just finished packing my bag when my phone began to vibrate. The screen lit up with the words 'Unknown Caller' in large letters. Reaching over, I picked it up and answered it.

"Hello?" I flung the duffel bag over my shoulder, heading towards my front door.

"Did you really think you could run away?" The voice sent a shudder down my spine.

"Dean?" My throat felt dry, and suddenly very tight. I had to force the word out.

"Really, Leon, I thought you would've known better than to go running home." His voice was dark. He was angry, and why wouldn't he be?

"It doesn't matter where I am, because by the time you get here, I'll be gone again. You're too late, Dean." The anxiety I had originally felt melted away. "I've slipped through your fingers again." Dean wasn't going to be able to catch up with me. He sure as Hell wouldn't be able to find my Mother's home. I barely knew where it was.

"We'll see. Talk soon, sweetheart." His voice taunted me. The line dropped.

"God... damnit." I cursed, slamming the phone against the wall. Of course, it didn't break, because Nokias are practically tanks disguised as phones.

Well? What're we going to do?

"I'm going to go see my Mother. And you, you are going to shut up. I don't need you." That reminded me of something I had forgotten to pack. I whipped around and slumped into the bathroom, retrieving my pill bottle from the cabinet and slipping it into my bag. I wasn't about to forget that again.

After going through a final mental checklist, I left the safety of my apartment, locking up behind me. I could already tell it was going to be a long night.

As I started the journey to the elevator, I looked over the map Mother marked for me. The trail was marked in red, ending in the parking lot of an apartment complex in the Bronx. Of course, on the shadier side of the Bronx. Why wouldn't it be the shady side?

I folded the map up, retrieving my phone from the depths of my back pocket. Flicking it open, I entered the phone number my Mother had left for me. It had barely started ringing when someone picked up.

"Who is this?" A woman's voice on the other end snapped.

"Is this Mary?" I slipped into the elevator and practically slapped the lobby button.

"Who's asking?" The voice grew weary and uncertain.

"Leon...ardo." I leaned against the wall of the elevator, stuffing a shaking hand in my pocket. God, my hands were always shaking. "Mother?"

There was a sigh of relief. "Oh honey. Yes, it's me. It's been too long. Are you coming tonight?" The voice instantly softened, but I couldn't identify this as the voice of my Mother. After all, it had been eight years since I last heard her voice.

"I'm heading out now. I'll be there around the bottom of the house. Is that okay?" Exiting the elevator, I hurriedly crossed the lobby to enter the elevator for the garage. "Also, what floor is the car on?"

"Yes, I'll be ready for you. Should be on the ground floor." I hit the appropriate button. I could make out the sound of running water in the background of the call.

"Thank you." I relaxed a bit, shaking off the tension. "What kind of car should I be looking for?"

"Black Chevy Silverado. Big truck. Can't miss it." The sound of glass shattering. "Shit!"

"Okay- and, are you okay?" I poked my head out of the elevator as the doors slid open, quickly scanning the lot before making my way around, keeping my eyes out for the proper truck.

"Yeah, yeah, just dropped a plate on the floor." Her voice sounded distant. "Just call me when you get here, I've got to clean this up. Talk soon honey." The line fell dead.

I hit the unlock button on the key fob, following the sound to the large truck parked in a corner of the garage.

I had to use the running board to hop up into the truck, but I made it up regardless. Now whether or not I could efficiently drive the truck was another question. It was much bigger than any car I had driven before, and the roads in the city weren't exactly spacious. That caused me to question why she had given me such an out of place vehicle. I would stand out like a sore thumb in it. Especially in the neighborhood I was going to. That was... just a little fishy.

The engine roared to life, and I carefully, very carefully, pulled out of the parking garage. Living in the city, I didn't have to drive much. And I hadn't been stationed out of the city for a long time. Driving Dean's car was the first time in a good while.

There was no need to use the map anymore. I knew the city like the back of my hand, and I was rather familiar with her section of the Bronx. I often found myself there when gangs were involved.

Though it was nearing 9 o'clock, the city was bright with lights, and the streets were still packed with cars. While sitting at red light after red light, I turned on the radio. A man's voice crackled through, a certain emo band singing to their Mama about going to Hell.

How ironic.