( 3 )

Simply put, the club was not my favorite place in the world. But I definitely needed a drink or two. I hated the mixed smells of sweat, piss, and alcohol that had been tasted twice.

The music was way too loud, and my ears felt like they'd be bleeding by the time I got home. 'Feelin' Myself' by Nicki Minaj was blasting in the background.

I glanced over at the man seated next to me in the booth. "Are you sure this was a good idea?" I asked hesitantly, fingers wrapped around an apple martini. A slice of apple floated around in the opaque green drink.

My friend, Tris Harp, smiled at me. "Duh. We both know you needed this night out." He winked. "Maybe you could even find yourself a new man."

I tensed up, my gaze drifting away from him. I hated the idea of 'getting back out there'. It was definitely a sore subject, and Tris knew that. "I don't think so." I murmured, barely being heard over the blaring music. "I'm not ready yet."

I looked back up into those metallic blue eyes, where at some point I had found comfort, safety. Now they pierced my soul, putting me on edge. Tris moved closer to me in the booth, casually putting an arm around my shoulders. "Cheer up, Leon. Ryan wouldn't want you to be bummed out like this."

Ryan. His brother... My ex-boyfriend. Well, we would still be together. But he had been murdered just under a year ago. The anniversary of his death was approaching quickly, and September 26th would mark a year.

"I know. But I can't help it..." My voice trailed off. "I loved him." For me, it was hard to find someone I could truly love. Someone I could trust unconditionally. Ryan had been that for me. I didn't know if I could ever really 'replace' him.

I felt Tris's hand move from my shoulder to my thigh. I paused, looking at him through narrowed eyes. "Mhm, I know you loved him, Leon. But it's time to move on, don't you think?" His voice was soft, but his eyes betrayed his intentions, and so did his actions. He squeezed down on my thigh, leaning closer.

I shook my head, putting a hand on his chest, ready to push him away. "I'm not ready, Tris. I've said this. Listen, why don't we just drop this topic, okay?" I gently pushed him backwards, just wanting some distance between us. "You know I'm not comfortable talking about this."

He didn't seem to like that very much, grabbing my wrists and pushing them against the back of the booth. Now the secluded section of the club made sense. It was all part of his fucked up plan. He pulled his body onto my lap, straddling my hips forcefully.

I chuckled nervously, trying to pull my hands away. "Tris, knock it off. I'm not in the mood for your antics." I tried to disguise the disgust, and fear, that I was currently feeling.

He laughed, tightening his grip on my wrists. "Come on, Leon. It'll be fun. Loosen up some." I could feel his breath against my lips, dangerously close. He was too close. He had gone too far this time.

Internally, I was panicking. What did Tris think he was doing? "No, Tris. I said no. My answer is no, and it will always be no." I successfully pulled my hands out of his grip, putting them against his chest and pushing him back, so his face wasn't so close to my own.

Tris shook his head, looking hurt. I didn't care. His fragile ego didn't matter to me. He put a hand under my chin, tipping my face up so I was forced to hold his gaze.

He looked nothing like Ryan. He acted nothing like Ryan. He wasn't Ryan. He was Tris. An arrogant, egotistical, and rude asshole. And I didn't want him.

A moment later, his rough lips pressed against mine.

I almost gagged, pushing him back again, this time with more force.