이십 : advice from nature

so many things got in your way

. . .

The chief didn't come to work today, he decided to spend time under the influences of trees and skies. He thought that perhaps, if he could give himself a break, he could perform his job better.

With a basket of bread and milk hanging on his arm and a small portable chair on the other, he tiptoed through the woods reeking of the smell of moss and rain. The shade and sun loving ferns brushed on his thighs as he made his way through the woody forest where the nightingales sang a dreamy song of death and love.

Upon reaching a glittering rivulet, he laid on a bright, blue silk cloth and set up his stuff. He waded on the small stream for a while before he drew out his book and continued reading. To begin with, he took out a black notebook labeled 'confidential' on front, and all the necessary details were tabled neatly.

"I didn't know the Mad Hatter cared for Alice that much?" Yugyeom pondered this for a long time before accepting it as a valid assumption.

Childhood ruined, he thought. As a child, Yugyeom have obviously read Alice in the Wonderland but didn't pay attention to it that much. I mean he was just a boy, right? No man got time to investigate how creepy that fairytale actually is.

"If that is so--" he contemplated, "then Jimin is our Mad Hatter."

He wrote his name under the appropriate cell on the table. Deep inside his mind, he couldn't believe that he's actually doing this. From being one of the notable young chief deputies who dig through cadavers to find clues, he now resembles a curious toddler who buries his face on a book of talking rabbits and mice.

"This is driving me insane," he spoke in a sing-song tune, a playful melody of hesitation and interest on the matter at hand.

"Jeon... Jungkook..." The way he wrote his name was so slow. Nothing flushed through his thoughts but mistrust and suspicion.

"There could be two possibilities:—" he wrote, "one, he's among the four suspects because he (John)..." The parenthesis capsulating the word John served as a highlight that no, he wasn't talking about the main personality, but instead the other one. The evil that talked to him, giving him his very. First. Clue.

"...is mentally deranged or two, he's Jungkook who was pretending to be John who was pretending to be Jungkook." He sighed at the brain twister he told himself. "Huh?"

"No one in Wonderland acts like that?" His eyes squinted at the question that lacked the correct answer.

"What is he? A talking tree? An extra? Who the hell is he?"

Scratching the back of his neck, his attention was caught by a jaguar fiercely staring at him with eyes intoxicated by kindness and warmth. Yugyeom fixed his gaze at him, trying so hard not to flinch. He held his breath for as long as he could, and just when he's about to exhale, the jaguar ran away.

That jaguar, who could have had him as his lunch, chose to walk away and run after a deer he saw nearby.

Jungkook. Yes, he thought of the boy.

Maybe he's not that mean at all. Maybe, just maybe, Jungkook was still inside him, meddling with John's decisions. John's one of his 12 personalities after all. He couldn't be that harmful. Giving himself the benefit of the doubt, he wrote Jungkook's name under the White Queen.

The White Queen is kind and fair, but at the same time, mysterious and powerful. It all seemed like a huge metaphor for Jungkook, the main identity is kind and fair, yet the others are mysterious and powerful.

"Mad Hatter and White Queen..." He couldn't make quite a connection between them and Alice though. Jimin was all caring and supportive to Jin, yet why was it not enough to keep him alive?