32 || ❝he's really good.❞

❝'He'? What do you mean by 'he'?❞

'He'? What do you mean by 'he'?

❝'He' as in James Buchanan, Delilah's secret admirer.

Oh boy...he doesn't happen to have Barnes in his name as well does he?

He's not the freaking Winter Soldier!

Hey, it was a hypothetical question. But on a more serious note, uh...what exactly happened with him?

Well I was just at the library studying alone at a table when he happened to pass by and wave. Then he comes over and helps himself to the seat in front of me, which I thought was weird. He's a chill guy but I've only said hi and bye to him a couple times. I've maybe had like one or two conversations with him my four years of high school.

Hm...that is weird.

And I mean, he's not a bad guy. He's a band kid, heard he's really good with instruments.

*coughs*

What?

Oh...nothing, nothing. Just that you know, this puts you at a bad disadvantage already saying that she practices piano.

Thanks for reminding me...

Oh man, Londie.

Hey, but let me finish my story. So he comes over and starts saying that he noticed I was sitting with her and Anna at lunch. And I mean, I automatically thought that was weird for him to bring that up, but I just went with it.

Okay.

And so from there he tries to make casual conversation and then leans forward in his seat. He's like, 'London, I need to ask you something man to man.' And like I said, he's a good guy. He never starts any problems, wouldn't hurt a fly if I were being completely honest. So I trust him enough to be like, 'What's up?'

Right.

And then he drops the bomb and he's like, 'You don't like Delilah, do you?'

...

And what else was I supposed to do? I told him no on impulse and then he lets out this giant sigh of relief that makes my heart begin to race. My palms were so sweaty. I knew I had made the biggest mistake ever.

Why didn't you tell him the truth then?!

I-I don't know. I just freaked out. But then I also feel like I might have told him the truth in a way...

...How?

There's so much going on in my head right now. I can't even begin to explain it. It's just so...so exhausting. My heart just wants refuge, wants this all to be over with.

Well I'm here if you need to talk.

It's just...I've been doing a lot of thinking lately. About...yo-

!!!

About things. Things that have been driving me crazy lately. It's like I wake up with these thoughts and fall asleep with them too. They don't go away, they only pull me closer one way and farther from the other. And I feel like I'm just going to give up on all of this eventually because I'm so tired of waiting around for love I'll never get from either side.

London?

Sophie?

What is your heart so conflicted about that you're so frustrated?

Honestly...I think it's going another way. A way I never expected it to go. And I'm terrified.

Why?

Because I don't think she'll ever like me like that.

You never think anyone likes you.

Because they usually don't.

Well I'm sure whoever you're talking about might give you a chance. Because I think she might actually like you back.

I think I like her too. A lot.

...And by her, you don't happen to mean a girl named So-

I like you.

*click*

© Lightning_Stryker 2020