Chapter Nine.

I kept meditating there, just had to stay where no one else would go. It was 2100, and they all might be sleeping. They still have Loki in the container thing, and I wonder what he's doing.

The door opened again, and I did not manage to glance. I kept standing, then I thought I should get in. I should put my self to sleep and just rest but I saw Steve standing next to the door. He was looking back at me.

I stepped closer to him, "Your turn." I chuckled, opening the door.

"Wait—Dawn," He called and I stopped at my tracks without facing him.

"Why have you been avoiding me?" He continued.

I sighed and look down, "What are you talking about, Steve?"

"Look at me," He heaved a deep breath, "and tell me, why?"

I faced him, "I'm not avoiding you, Steve." I chuckled softly.

He stepped closer, "Just--" I mumble to myself, stepping away.

He put his face closer, and looked right at me. "I know I may not be the kind of guy you'd like to hang with, but you could at least tell me that you don't like me."

I paused. What is he saying?

"I know that we might not get along in this group, but I'm afraid that we need to. We are a team. But I--I can't force you to get along with me, or like me-"

I stop him, "Whoa--wait, Cap." I raised my hand, "What are you talking about?"

"What? I know you don't want to hang with a guy in a flag suit. So, you don't have to pretend to the others that you like me." He shrugged convincing me about what I don't even know.

"Steve. Listen." I looked back at him, "Who said that I didn't like hanging with you? Who told you that?" I stare at him, confused, "That--that's not the reason why I'm ignoring you."

"So you are avoiding me?"

I sigh, "Ignoring."

"Really? Its the same thing."

"Ignoring and avoiding are both different things. Now, let me get to the point."

He stood there, his head tilted slightly lower to look down straight at me.

"I'm ignoring you cause.. They keep teasing us both. We're supposed to focus on the job." I said, "It's just crazy. They are like children teasing us and it needs to be stopped."

"There is nothing wrong with that-"

"-There is!" I stepped away, "Can't you see the times--like--earlier this morning?!" I glanced at him, "Its just wrong. They keep seeing us both, and.. they're getting the wrong idea." I exclaimed.

I looked down, "I can't do this tonight, Cap."

He just looked at me, no words.

"What, you're not gonna say anything? Don't you think, that its all wrong and stuff?" I paused waiting for a response.

"I get it." 

"Oh, you--you get it?"

"Yes, I do." He took a step closer, "I know what this is."

I gulped, hoping that he does not realize that the reason is that  I do like him. But I can't.

"No, you don't." I sighed and opened the door. "I'm sorry."

"Dawn." His tone got higher, "Listen, just tell me that it is true."

"What is?" I exclaimed, He stepped away.

He gulped, "That you are just like the others here who does not want a guy like me beside them. I know that I might be ordering you at times, but it is my job. But I can't just force you all to like to be in this team, can I?"

He still doesn't get it. That is not what I'm trying to tell him.

"Steve, that is not what I'm trying to say."

"That's what you're trying to tell me. You know, I thought you were different, I liked you for your amazing attitude. But I guess I was wrong. This team won't even work the way it did last time."

"I never asked for you to like me." I said sternly,

   Well, I guess if he won't take time to understand what I do feel, then nothing's gonna happen. I knew it, this will only ruin my reputation and mission in this team. Tomorrow then, I should just focus on the job. Not with this, nor him.

He paused, "Alright, fine."

I can tell that he was heart broken.

But I was too, I was at the edge of falling for this guy. Then he's just gonna push me away. It's harsh. Too much to handle.

 I left him in the hallway.