Classes

I left practice, irritated.

On my way to 1st period, Mason came up to me. 

"Hath-away, don't run away!" the sing-song voice said.

I turned, a slight smile at my lips. "How old are you? Twelve?" I said.

He smiled. "Nearly. How was practice?"

I groaned. "Dimitri was gonna let me practice with a stake, but I didn't tell him where the heart was."

"Belikov is a sick, evil man who should be thrown into a pit or rabid vipers for the great offense he committed against you this morning."

I smiled again. "Thank you." Then, I considered. "Can vipers be rabid?" I quoted Rose.

Mason replied. "I don't see why not. Anything can be. Although, Canadian geese might be worse."

I cocked my head to the side. "How so?"

His face went dead seroius. "Have you ever tried to feed those little bastards?  They're vicious! You get thrown to the vipers, you're dead, but the geese, they go on forever!"

I laughed. "Wow."

Mason smiled again. "Just trying to find creative ways to avenge your honor."

I gave him a sidelong look. "I wouldn't have struck you for the creative type, Mase."

He laughed, and opened the door for me into class. We sat down together, and I slipped in some headphones, putting on Kesha and Macklemore's song "Good Old Days" on.

The class went on quickly, as I didn't pay attention to anything. 

As the students began to get up and leave, I followed suit, not wanting to be noticed. 

I walked out silently, and Mason appeared beside me. 

"How was class? Boring, huh?"

I nodded. "I didn't hear a word." I flashed my earbuds.

"Nice." He nodded. "What class do you have next?"

"Bodyguard theory and personal protection 3." I said, bored. "With Stan." I added.

"Same. Boring as fuck. And he's an asshole." Mason told me.

"He didn't say anything to me yesterday. But, I'm sure he will today."

Mason opened the door for me again, and we entered Alto's class.

I looked around, and saw Stan looking at me.

I sat down, Mason next to me. 

The bell rang, and Stan began talking. "We went over the watching methods yesterday. Who knows the names?" He looked around the room.

I turned to Mason. "Look at him. He's so-"

"Alice? Do you know?" He asked, interrupting me.

"You would use Carnegie's Quadrant Surveillance Method or the Rotational Survey. Now may I continue?" 

"Excuse me?" His face was turning red as a few students giggled.

"Oh, do you want me to repeat what I said? I said, now may I continue?" 

Mason laughed quietly. 

"Is that how you speak to your instructors?" He seethed.

"Nope. Just you. And maybe a few others."

Stan didn't speak for a moment. 

The class waited in anticipation.

Then, his voice quiet, but clear, he spoke. "Are you related to Rose Hathaway?"

"That is unknown. But, when I do know, I will be sure to tell you. Any particular reason for asking?"

"No, just that she was loud, and obnoxious, and just like you."

I stood, feigning insult. "Did you just call me loud and obnoxious? If so, thank you. I can be quiet, I can be somewhat normal, just I enjoy pissing you off." My voice was scary and cheery at the same time.

"Miss Hathaway, leave right now. You will not come back until you learn how to use your manners." You could probably see steam coming out of his ears.

"Well, then, I will never come back then." The class laughed, and I left.