Chapter Eight - There For You

Evie's P.O.V -

Computing feels like it's never going to end. I keep looking at the clock. All I can think about is Flynn. I need to apologise for earlier.

"Who can tell me what an information system is?"

I raise my hand.

"Yes, Evie?"

"An information system can be defined as a combination of hardware and software used for collecting, storing and processing data."

"Very good."

I can't decide whether I like or hate this class. On one hand, I'm pretty good at this, but on the other, our teacher expects us to read that stupid booklet every night.

"The bell's about to go. You can all pack up."

I throw my books and pencil case into my bag with abandon. When I get out of here I'm going to have to find Flynn. I hope he's on the roof.

The bell rings and everyone's pushing each other in their attempts to escape the tiny classroom. God, it's always so cramped.
I get out the door and sprint up the stairs. When I step out onto the roof I see someone, but he isn't Flynn.

"Joseph?"

He jumps. He didn't know I was here.

"Oh, hey Evie."

"What are you doing here?"

"Thinking."

I walk over and stand next to him. We both look out over the drop. I wonder how it would feel to jump.

"Angie broke up with me."

"What?" There's no way. They were so happy. Or, seemed happy I guess.

"People in their family have a tendency of giving up when things get hard."

"How was it hard?"

"Matt and Connor keep bullying her. I'm trying my best to help but she's just pushing me away."

"So you're pushing back?"

"No! I just..." Joseph sighs.

"You can't give up on her."

"I know that. I know. It's tough dating one of the Sanders', you know?"

"Not really..."

"Oh, right. I forgot that you and Flynn are just friends. You two act a lot like a couple."

"Can I ask for some advice?"

"Sure."

"If I were to ask a guy out, how should I do it?"

"Take him somewhere he likes and have something romantic set up. I know that there's this stereotype that guys aren't into romance but it's really nice when a girl tries to do something nice for you."

"That's really sweet, Joseph."

"Thanks. How do I fix things with Angie though?"

"Just be honest with her. Let her know you'll always be there."

"I'm glad you showed up here."

"I am too."

- - -

Flynn's P.O.V -

Evie❤️ - Hey, can we talk?