Chapter Nine - High Hopes

A/N -
The video that's at the top there is meant for a certain part of this chapter. I'll put in brackets where you should put it on.

Joseph's P.O.V -

The place we met. Sunset.

Angie😘 - What?

You know what I mean x

Angie😘 - Joseph... We talked about this.

I think you might change your mind x

Angie😘 - Okay. See you later.

I sit down on the curb, my heart is in the pit of my stomach. I have no idea how she'll react.

"Thanks for coming guys," I say to Johnny, Flynn and Evie.

"No problem. I'm sure she's going to love this," Evie replies.

Angie and I met on this street a year ago. We were both looking down at our phones and bumped into each other. I helped her up and we laughed about it. I don't know how but I managed to work up the courage to ask for her number. Ever since then I've fallen for her again every single day.

I pick up my guitar and put the strap around my shoulder, poising myself for when she arrives. Evie, Johnny and Flynn are all holding their signs, waiting patiently.
Some people are stopping in the street, wondering what's going on. A crowd is starting to form around us.

Then I see her. She sees me too. She smiles sadly.

"Angie, you came."

"I said I would."

"I have something I've wanted to say for a while. Are you willing to stay and listen?"

"Yeah."

I look at Evie and she holds up her sign, the first piece of the puzzle.

314 days until you turn 16.

Angie looks at it in confusion. I say nothing and just start strumming my guitar and singing.

(Play the video here)

When I'm halfway through the song, Flynn holds up his sign.

314 days until you're legally allowed to get married without a parent's permission.

Johnny holds up the final sign as I finish the song.

Angie, will you marry me (in 314 days)?

Angie starts to cry when she reads it and I get down on one knee.

"Am I dreaming?" she exclaims through the tears.

"No, this is real."

She kneels on down with me and hugs me tight.

"Of course I'll marry you, you spoon!"

The crowd cheers and claps. Everything feels so right right now. Everything is in it's place.

"I love you."

"I love you too."

- - -

Evie's P.O.V -

It's been two weeks since everything happened. Technically Flynn and I aren't dating. We've never been on a real date. Just adventures. We haven't exchanged I love you's or called each other boyfriend or girlfriend. He wants to take things slow and I'm really okay with that.

"Evie!"

"Yeah, Dad?"

"Where'd I put my tie?"

"Same place as always!"

"Oh, right."

Dad's home now. I haven't told him about Flynn, he'd lose it. As far as he knows, we're just friends.

"I'm going out with Flynn tonight."

"You two have been hanging out a lot."

"He's my best friend."

"What about that Angie girl? And Paige?"

"Angie's busy with her boyfriend and I haven't seen Paige around school recently."

"I just think you need some girl friends. You're always either around me or Flynn."

"I'm fine with that though, Dad."

"Evie, how would you feel if there was a female figure in your life?"

"It's not like I don't have female friends."

"I don't mean like that."

"Wait, are you saying what I think you're saying?"

"I met someone while I was away."

"Oh. That's great."

"Are you okay with this?"

"Yeah, yeah. Of course."

I really don't know how to feel. I've never had to think about the possibility of having a stepmum before.

"Is it okay if she comes over for dinner tonight?"

"What even is her name?"

"Rebecca."

"That's a nice name." I've always liked the name Rebecca.

"I'm happy that you're taking this so well. That's very mature of you, Evie."

That's me, mature Evie. It's hard not to be mature when you're left on your own so often. I don't know what he expects.

"I'm going to go now."

"Bye, love you."

"I love you too, Dad."

Just as I feel like the drama in my life is over and everything's easy, something happens again. Let's just hope Rebecca's nice.

A/N -
Sorry that this chapter was shorter than usual. It's getting pretty late as I write this and I feel like this is a good place to end it. I hope you all enjoyed this chapter of Cherished :)