The Start of Something (and sixth form)

(Y/n) = your name
(C/n) = crush's name
(F/s) = favourite subject
(S/f/s) = second favourite subject
(Bf/n) = your best friend's name
(C/f/n) = crush's friend's name
Aight lads, let's get into this shall we? (I promise I'm not trying to ham up the Britishness, this is just genuinely how I talk!)

Sixth form.

I really shouldn't be this nervous; after all, I'm still at the same school, it's not like I'm starting all over again. But it's almost like that, seeing as a strong 50% of the students are new to me, having moved from different schools in pre-formed groups and cliques. And I've been looking forward to no longer having to wear our dull school uniform since year 7, but now I'm scared that my chance to express myself will turn into another chance for me to look like a muppet and make the wrong first impression. Sure, I looked fine when I left the house - one might even go so far as to say I felt pretty - but that was twenty minutes ago, and now I'm stood outside the door to my first class sweating buckets out of pure fear.

Suffice to say, I'm a tiny bit nervous.

I shake my head and roll my shoulders back. If I stand out here too long someone will come along and see me and that would just be embarrassing; it's time to bite the bullet.

I sigh as I push open the door - I just wish at least one of my friends had taken (f/s) too, so I wouldn't have to do this alone.
I scan the room as I enter. I'm just a couple of minutes early, so there's barely anyone in here; it's just a group of friends towards the front of the classroom, and- oh crap.

One other person... (c/n).

My internal organs all spontaneously combust.

He's sat by himself - he saw me come in, but he didn't acknowledge it, he just looked back at his phone, biting his lip, which I'm 98% sure was a completely unrelated occurrence. Unrelated or not, though, it was freaking hot. I mentally roll my eyes at myself, Shut up, brain!

I have approximately 0.7 seconds to make a decision on what to do before I look weird and creepy, just standing there staring at him. I highly doubt he has other friends joining this class, since he'd be 'fashionably late' with the whole gang (or whatever phrase 'lads' use to sound less camp) rather than being even earlier than me and by himself.

You know what?

I'm going to sit next to him.

Every alarm bell in my body is blaring as I make my way over; do I really want to risk Ultimate Rejection? Or even Begrudging Disappointment that it's Only Me?

Yes I do.

Because the new, sixth form (y/n) takes risks, even if as she does so her body goes into panic mode and makes her consider options like flinging herself out of the nearest window.

As I plonk myself down next to (c/n) he looks up in surprise. It's understandable since we haven't sat next to each other since year 9 History, and that was only because of the teacher's seating plan, not by choice (although I certainly hadn't been complaining).

I smile nervously, confidence slowly heading down the scale on a steady decline towards zero "Hi (c/n), do you mind if I sit here? It's just I don't know anyone else in this class...?"

He shrugs in a way that would be nonchalant if his fingers hadn't started drumming nervously on the table as he does so, "Yeah, sure, of course. I don't have any friends in here either, so..."
I smile a bit wider, "Okay, good."

We both turn awkwardly back to our phones, and a small smile of triumph plays on my lips - the world didn't implode! That is, until I realise my potential mistake and turn back to him, eyes wide, "I didn't mean it was good you don't have any friends!"

(C/n) raises an amused eyebrow at me, "Are you saying I don't have any friends...?"

I roll my eyes, "I meant in this class and you know it."

He feigned offence, "Actually, I don't know anything, so in my eyes you just called me a loner."

I chuckle, "Well, I was trying to save your feelings, but I'm glad you're so self-aware (c/n)."

He opens his mouth to retort, only to be cut off by the bell and the teacher's entrance to the room, as they immediately start introducing themselves. We turn back to the front, seeing that the class was now full, but we'd been so involved in our mini conversation that we hadn't noticed. My head is spinning a little with shock that I actually managed to have banter with (c/n), the boy who normally leaves me desperately trying to remember the word 'hello', never mind anything else!

Just wait until I tell (bf/n); they won't believe me for a second.

I'll treat myself to a cookie later too. (The fact that I would've found an excuse to anyway is irrelevant; cookies are freaking brilliant, you can fight me)

About three quarters of the way into the lesson I'm beginning to doubt that it even happened, and wasn't just something I've read on Wattpad (*cough*). My worries are assuaged, however, when he slides a piece of paper in front of me. A note. From (c/n). What a time to be alive.

I pick it up, and it says, in his crappy handwriting: I am not a loner.

I stifle a snort, and write my response underneath his: Sure, whatever you say :)

I slide it back to him just as the bell rings and the teacher dismisses us.

I shove my pencil case back into my bag and begin to leave, only to find that (c/n) is walking alongside me. I raise an eyebrow at him, smiling, in a silent question. He ignores my attempt at silent communication and instead asks a question of his own: "What do you have now?"

"(S/f/s)"

Now it was his turn to raise an eyebrow, "Really? (S/f/s)? Why?"

I laugh "You don't have to sound so horrified! I like it and I find it interesting, that's why."

He holds his hands up in mock-surrender "I was only asking!"

I smile "I was only answering."

He rolls his eyes, before realising that we've reached my classroom.

We stand there awkwardly for a second, before I ask "What do you have now?"

He scratches the back of his neck "I have a free period; I was supposed to meet (c/f/n) outside the science block, but I guess I forgot."

I smile "Well you should probably go find him then; I'll see you later."

I turn and walk into the classroom, but not before I hear him mutter "Yeah, I hope so."

Okay this was a bit long so I'm sorry if it wasn't that great! It's my first one so hopefully I'll improve with time, but I'm actually quite happy with how this turned out!
I hope you enjoyed it :)