If Music be the Food of Love

This is a request for @-JustThatDorkyGirl- , sorry I made you wait this long!! I really love the concept, and I hope you enjoy!

"(C/n)! Stop!" You laughed as you batted him away. "If you don't stop poking me soon I'm gonna start getting annoyed."

"You could never be annoyed with me." He flashed you his most angelic smile, and you struggled to get your face into a menacing glare.

"Don't try me," you warned.

"Try you at what?" He winked suggestively and you scoffed; you could  feel the collective eye-roll of literally every other member of your school band. This flirting was pretty standard procedure at the beginning of every single rehearsal, and you knew in their shoes you'd probably be sick of it too. But you weren't, and you happened to enjoy it very much. The others had often implored with you to just ask him out already, since the two of you so clearly liked one another, but you hadn't. Not because you were a girl - no patriarchy was gonna hold you back - but simply because you couldn't summon up the courage. Sure, you were 100% sure you liked him, but you were 97.5% sure he liked you. While they were great odds, even that 2.5% chance of rejection terrified you beyond words. If a move was to be made, he was going to do it.

"I guess that's up to you," you raised an eyebrow at him, and bashfulness still flooded his features despite how often you'd been through this. Your head went fuzzy at the sight of it and you found yourself both relieved and disappointed when the band leader appeared and called for everyone's attention. Despite your attention now being upon the conductor, you could sense that (c/n)'s eyes were still on you, and somehow you found it very difficult to concentrate on anything else.

"(C/n), if you can't even pretend to be paying attention to what I'm saying then I will move the entire trombone section as far away from the clarinets as feasibly possible so you won't find (y/n) so distracting!" The band leader smirked.

"Like that would stop him!" (C/b/f) laughed, as did everyone else, including you and (c/n). When you tried to catch his eye, though, you found him avoiding your gaze. He didn't get embarrassed easily, so was he... awkward? He was never awkward around you. The only reasonable explanation was that he was currently as clueless about your feelings as you had been about his a couple of months ago. You'd brushed it of as 'just friends' until the truth had finally forcefully dawned upon you, when your friends sat you down and gave you 'The List' of every single piece of evidence that made his crush on you very clear. You were there for twenty minutes.

In that moment you decided to take matters into your own hands.

You were going to ask him out.

You decided to just ask him straight up after band... next rehearsal. You weren't ready yet - you hadn't worked out exactly how you were going to ask. Plus you may have been procrastinating slightly. It was a big deal, okay?

You somehow managed to get through the rest of the session without causing too much disruption, and finally the time came to pack away and leave. Placing your clarinet back into its case you found yourself in a nudge battle with (c/n), who apparently couldn't give you a moment's peace, though your complaints definitely weren't genuine.

"Hey, (c/n), we still on for later?" Hagen, the guy who was infamous for sticking his foot in his mouth called across the room, and you saw multiple people give him dirty looks.

"Uh, yeah, the park closes at eleven so we've got ages to play." (C/n) tried to hide the tension in his frame by throwing an easy smile across the room, but it stuck out clearly in his shoulders. It was always his shoulders that gave him away.