Saved by the Bell

Requested by @Silverina_was_here :)

You felt a chin plop on your shoulder as you shoved your PE kit into your locker. You smiled, knowing instantly who it was.

"Hi (C/n)." You turned your head, and he looked at you from where his head remained firmly on your shoulder. You melted under his wide-eyed gaze and cheeky smile as he wrapped his arms around your waist.

"How'd you know it was me?" He asked.

"You're literally the only person who ever greets me like that." You responded as you closed your locker and turned around, making him release his arms from around you, which was a mild bummer. You began walking alongside each other on your way to your third period lesson.

"One of these days I'll be tall enough to put my chin on your head instead of your shoulder." He told you.

You smirked and nudged him playfully. "Of course you will. Keep believing that."

He nudged you back, and you spent the rest of your journey shoving and chasing each other, until you reached the English corridor. You weren't in the same class, but your classrooms were next door to each other. He saw a group of his mates barely a metre away and gestured to you that he was going to go and speak to them. You nodded and leant against the wall by your class; you'd been let out of PE early, so the bell hadn't gone yet and there was a small sixth form class in there. You could hear (c/n) clearly as he pissed about with his mates and you smiled to yourself, definitely not eavesdropping.

Suddenly (y/f) appeared, pink in the face and out of breath. She poked you playfully. "Thanks for waiting for me!"

You groaned in realisation. "Ah, shit, sorry, (c/n) showed up and I totally forgot."

She grinned at you. "I saw. I was trying to catch up with you guys, hence all this." She gestured to her panting and red face. She then sighed dramatically, grin still in place. "I suppose I can forgive you this time, but only because you're so totally in love with him."

Your eyes widened in panic. "(Y/f)-"

She grinned even wider, as if that was possible, not catching your hint. "Oh come on, you were literally just telling me yesterday how your stomach is like a butterfly farm whenever he so much as looks in your direction!"

"(Y/f)" you said again, face hot, and she finally followed your gaze.

(C/n) was looking at you with shock written all over his face.

"Oh shit," (y/f) swore, "(y/n) I'm so sorry."

"It's okay, you didn't know he was there." You muttered, finding it difficult to breathe.

He took a step towards you and you felt panic rise in your chest... but then the bell went, and a stream of sixth form students blocked his path to you. Once they'd all passed, you practically ran into the classroom, dragging (y/f) behind you. You knew he would've followed you into any other lesson, but your English teacher was possibly the most terrifying person in existence, and not even (c/n) would risk entering their classroom without permission.

You plonked yourself down in your seat, throwing your bag onto the table and shoving your face into it with a heavy sigh.

Saved by the bell.

•*•*•

The lesson came to an end before you'd really registered that it had started; you were too absorbed in your own thoughts. He knows. He knows. He knows.

Nothing's ever going to be the same.

(Y/f) nudged you. "Hey, don't look so glum. This'll probably finally give him the courage to ask you out!"

You chuckled at her optimism. "Yeah, sure, maybe a pig will fly past the classroom window too."

"I'm being serious!" She insisted. "You should see the way he looks at you whenever you look away! Plus, whenever anyone mentions your name he actually turns bright red! I'm not even exaggerating!"

"(Y/f), you're always exaggerating." You teased, but you couldn't help but to feel hope stir in the pit of your stomach.

The idea of him blushing at the thought of you was too unfathomably adorable.

You changed the subject as you left the classroom, but you were cut short when you found (c/n) waiting for you. You had next period together, so it made sense, but you kind of assumed he wouldn't want to walk with you in case it was too awkward.

(Y/f) bid you farewell since she was going in the opposite direction to you, and you walked towards (c/n). You decided, in that moment, that there was no point making things awkward, so you might as well pretend that earlier never happened. You plastered on a smile and strode towards him. "You coming or what then?"

He was a little thrown off, obviously not expecting such a cheerful and, well, normal greeting. "I- uh- hey."

You kept rambling. "If I have to write one more essay question on Jekyll and bloody Hyde I am legitimately going to scream!"

He smiled at you softly, catching onto what you were trying to do and finding it incredibly adorable. "I'll be holding you to that; the next time you'll have to do it is in our actual exam. Don't disappoint me."

You snorted at the thought, which set him off laughing, and everything was back to normal.

At least, until you got to your next lesson.

You sat down in your usual seats next to each other and he turned to face you.

"(Y/n)..." he said softly.

"(C/n)..." You mimicked him, suddenly incredibly anxious. This was it. Make or break.

"(Y/n), I heard what (y/f) said earlier, and, I just- is it, uh, true?" He stumbled over his words.

You didn't know how to respond, so as usual you dodged the difficult question with a feeble attempt at a joke. "What is truth, (c/n)? In the great scheme of the universe?"

He rolled his eyes with a smile. "I'm going to take you avoiding my question as a yes."

You chewed your lip. "Okay..."

He kissed you on the nose, leaving you stunned.

It was just a quick peck, a childish gesture, but it left you both grinning like loons.

"One day," he said, "I'm going to be able to do that to you standing up."

"One day," you replied, "but for now I like my pocket sized pal."

You both looked at each other for a moment and then burst out laughing. "Oh my god that was the cringiest sentence I've ever said!" You squeaked as you wiped tears from your eyes.

He hiccuped, and then grabbed your hand, intertwining your fingers and kissing it. "Be my cringey girlfriend?"

You grinned at him. "Absolutely."

I hope this was good enough! I wasn't really sure where I was going with it at first, but I reckon it's turned pretty cute.
Also sorry for the long gap between updates, I'm currently GCSE-ing which has been a bit all-consuming tbh.

Thanks for reading xx