Star-Crossed (part 1)

You strapped the pressure-pistol across your back and pulled on your sphylor-proof gloves, before quickly glancing in the mirror and heading out through the sliding white door of your pod, and into the hustle and bustle of the main hive.

You began weaving your way through the herds of fellow Nymphoids in the vast hemispherical hallway, until you reached the HQ portal index. You flipped your hair back as you entered, and strode over to Elliah, the Starboard Chief. Her nails clicked against her keyboard as she jabbered away down her headpiece. Finally she swung around in her seat and lifted her visor to level her gaze on you.

"(Y/n)," she said, "training room today. Starting now, actually."

"Training?" You cocked an eyebrow. "I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be in this crew, let alone HQ, if I wasn't already fully trained."

"It's not you that needs the training, it's our newest recruits. We found two Gailmen left for dead on the borders of Hyllamenia - we saved them, and in return they insisted they offer their services as members of our crew."

"Gailmen? As in, the galacticus who swore to eviscerate our entire crew if our paths ever recrossed?" You were incredulous. "How can you take such a risk? Even if they're not spies, their presence here almost guarantees the aforementioned recrossing!"

Elliah narrowed her eyes. "Are you questioning my decisions, sergeant?"

"Yes! Would I be your sergeant if I didn't?"

"No." She responded. "You make perfectly valid points, which I wouldn't for a second disregard was I not sure of their honourable intentions. They are Hyh-Generals of the Galemen galacticus, and any oaths they swear on they are mortally bound to keep."

"So you had them swear an oath to remain loyal to their new crew?" Elliah nodded, and you pursed your lips. "Right, well. I still don't like it. But I assume I don't have a choice?"

She smirked. "That assumption is correct."

You smiled and rolled your eyes. "I suppose I'll be off then."

But she'd already turned back to her immersion screen, visor once more in place over her piercing eyes.

You rolled your eyes again. "What a heart warming farewell."

You shared a knowing grin with Jasrinder, Elliah's girlfriend and Starboard Manager, and Paerton, the Key Navigations Executive, who wiggled his eyebrows at you.

"Good luck; try not to box their ears too much, metaphorically or literally." He smirked, knowing full well that patience wasn't exactly your strong suit.

You shot him an angelic smile, the epitome of innocence. "I'll try, but I make no promises."

With that, you made your way to the training centre, to meet your new trainees.

•*•*•

You kicked open the heavy metal door and stood in the doorway, your white, silver and green armour glowing. The men inside seemed to have been examining some of the equipment, and jumped at bang of the door against the wall. One of them relaxed, and looked you up and down with a smirk; the other seemed to get even tenser, eyes locked on your face.

The first sauntered over to introduce himself, eyes certainly not on your face. "Duylanis Yunigaard. Pleasure to make your acquaintance."

You appreciated his friend's effort to keep his eyes off of your figure as he approached; you knew that your armour could be described as distracting, but that didn't mean you deserved any less respect.