2 - Am I Adopted?

As I walk away from the life I use to know, I recall wondering, as I Iooked at the woman labelled as my mother. Was I was her child?

Is this a common thought? Please tell me! I seemed to have brought myself up. I can't remember a single thing she did but once curl my hair and even that is laden with acrimony. There are times I consider if I am so bad, to have these thoughts she can't be related to me. That my real mother cares for me. Will do anything for me. But instead I have this imposter. Someone who pretends to be my mother, but stole me from the person who gave life. I need to find the real person who loves me. As this woman I call mum, I don't want her to be mine.

I can't connect to her. I don't feel love for her. I want to run in the other direction, as far away as I can, into the arms of my real mother, who is searching for me.

Where is she. I can't hear her calling for me.

But she isn't the one they say is my mother. She can't be. I don't love her. Is that so bad to say?  Actually I hate her. With an intensity.  I want to spit on her.  The pain is almost over powering.   I want my mother to love me.   But she doesn't.  What did I do wrong, to be put in this position?  I tried to be a good person.   But it didn't seem to be enough.   She hates me.  I hate her. That's just the way it his.  The atmosphere  you could  cut with a knife every time we both are  in the same room.

I peer at the photos on my phone for  clarification. We look alike. But our hearts, our souls are a million universes apart and I scream for someone to hear me. Who is she? Who am I?

People say, I am like her.   That can't be true.    I don't want to be a duplicate image in her mould.   I fear to be like her and find myself actively trying to copy the mannerisms and characteristics of another relative.   I can't be like my mother.   I won't let that happen.   I will never ever be like  her.  If it takes a life time of trying, I will ensure, I am me, never her!

My feet gain pace along the drive way until the main road is reached and I pause, my eyes turn in each direction.  What side of the road should I stand?  Where will I  go?

Somehow, my feet start to cross the other side of the road,of their own accord and soon I  will put out my hand. I know,  that a taxi will take me away from the life I know. My hands shake and my heart races.  The fear of walking away from everything I know and not knowing anyone.  But I can't stay. The alternative is altogether more frightening by far.

I can't bear waiting at the side of the road any longer.   I won't give her the satisfaction of seeing my pain. So, my feet begin to run...and they don't stop...

If you liked this chapter please do vote (please hit the star) and if you have time to comment that would mean so much to me, as your feedback inspires me and I thrive on feedback.

No part of this may be reproduced or transmitted in any forms or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise, without permission of the authors.

Many thanks, Kimberley S B Lieb