9 - A Collection of Curls

I was so surprised my mother agreed to curl my hair.   Usually I ran out the house, like a gypsy, skirts flowing, with whatever I could grab.  Usually my mane was an unruly mess, as I had never received instructions on how to take care  of my hair.  In fact, I was pretty much  left to fend for myself with interesting consequences at times.   My mother didn't seem  to have any idea or instinct on how to care for a daughter.

My mother sang.   She adored Mario Lanza and her face  was full of smiles as his voice echoed out of  the record player and filled our home.  

I grabbed  my mother's happiness whilst it lasted and  wrapped it around my body; tightly I held onto it whilst it glowed bright.  I felt the warmth from it and didn't want to let it  go.

These moments, were almost  normality.  For  a short time, I had a mother like other people  did.   My mother treated  me like a customer as she curled  my hair and put it into rollers and dried it.   All the  time her voice was soft.   I felt like a princess.

The  next day  I went to school.   Everyone made a fuss of my beautiful curls.   I felt tall. I  felt proud.   For once  I wasn't ridiculed.

As I skipped all the way home, I felt  happy.  Excitement filled me.   Today I  felt special.

Even before I opened the  door, I  noticed  number 5 was the only house  in the  street in shadow.  I turned the  key, almost not wanting to go in.

The  house was in  total darkness.   Nothing  had moved since  I left that  morning.   My mother was still sitting in the arm chair where I left her, staring into space.  

I slowly  closed the  front room door  and  tiptoed out the house, closing  the main door behind me softly.  The darkness had overtaken her.

My  mother never  curled my hair again. 

If you liked this chapter please do vote (please hit the star) and if you have time to comment that would mean so much to me, as your feedback inspires me and I thrive on feedback.

No part of this may be reproduced or transmitted in any forms or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise, without permission of the authors.

Many thanks, Kimberley S B Lieb