30 - The Lodger

I lived with my grandparents on and off during my childhood and my life was very different when I lived with them. My grandmother ran the house to her clock. We always ate at certain times and it rarely varied.

Money was tight when I was little, as my grandparents' pension didn't stretch that far, so they use to have a lodger that stayed in the spare room.

Matt was introduced to them at Church and the vicar suggested that maybe my grandmother might like him as a lodger whilst he was studying his degree, as he didn't like digs being a quiet sort and he thought it might be something my grandmother was interested in.

Nan and Matt hit it right off. Well to be honest, you would have had to be mad if you didn't like Matt. He was lovely. I was only a little squirt but he was the tallest man I had ever seen. His arms and legs seem to on forever.

We use to sit at the table every morning together at breakfast and have a little banter and by the end of the first week, I had him round my little finger. I guess I was a little minx but it meant he bought me sweets.

Being a student he didn't have a lot of money, so when he drove home to Edinburgh in his tiny battered mini, my Nan would make him a pack lunch to eat and fill a flask, for when he stopped on the way.

How Matt ever fitted into his car, was actually beyond us all, as he almost curled himself into a ball to get himself inside. He must have had difficulty getting out, after driving all that way.

He always use to make laugh and my grandparents said they use to love to hear us both chuckling in the morning. Matt was the kindest soul and so considerate for his age, of a little girl who was probably very annoying. I am sure he's since made someone a lovely partner for sure and a great dad. He certainly made breakfast real fun for me and we all missed him when he went back to Edinburgh to live.

When I look back, I recall him as a gentle giant with a big smile and a soft heart, who often chased my Nan's dog and me around the house and garden in some game or another, laughing all the time.

If you liked this chapter please do vote (please hit the star) and if you have time to comment that would mean so much to me, as your feedback inspires me and I thrive on feedback.

No part of this may be reproduced or transmitted in any forms or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise, without permission of the authors.

Many thanks, Kimberley S B Lieb