35 The Unwanted Visitor

My mother never escaped again.

For years following, my father forced me to take on the responsibility for my mother's care; I fretted and became somewhat paranoid, that she would turn up on my doorstep.

The staff I spoke to as time passed by always thought I was a little crazy but when I explained she had sent letters in her own distinct handwriting to my house, not being allowed direct access to my address and her previous escapes from other institutions, the staff always went strangely quiet.

It wasn't their fault, my mother could be very conniving (I believe it is the nature of her particular illness). It was one reason; I tried not to have my back to her, as the only time I had she pulled me down the stairs.

It's safe to say, I never trusted my mother one bit, for the rest of her life.

Intermittently over the years, more letters would turn up at my door in her familiar writing. Despite being told repeatedly that she had no access to my new address, still the letters kept arriving with contents that always disturbed me. There is no way they would have allowed those letters to be sent to me, if they had seen the contents.

They all followed a particular pattern and went something like this:

Someone is after me.

Please bring me cigarettes.

Come get me.

I want to come home.

You can't leave me here.

They are trying to kill me.

They are watching me.

Come soon.

I need money.

I have to get away from here.

Despite the passing of years, I can still recall the contents. Maybe that's why to this day I am always cautious opening the post when I don't recognise the handwriting, as I am worried what to expect.

If you liked this chapter please do vote (please hit the star) and if you have time to comment that would mean so much to me, as your feedback inspires me and I thrive on feedback.

No part of this may be reproduced or transmitted in any forms or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise, without permission of the authors.

Many thanks, Kimberley S B Lieb