25 - Footloose in London

The song choice of footloose at the beginning of the chapter, might seem a bit odd of but the day started for my uncle, as one he was looking forward to and changed dramatically and the song takes that on-board.

-0-

On that fateful day, that the phone shrilled, my father had been in a good mood but his face went white as the call progressed.

My pulse began to beat fast. I could feel it pumping in my wrist. A metallic taste filled my mouth. "Mum?" I mouthed to my father.

He put a finger to his lips, whilst he continued to mutter into the handset.

I touched his arm, wanting to know whatever it was; but thinking the worse and expecting him to say my mother had escaped again, which would mean she would be at our front door again.

Dad didn't answer straight away but then looked up at my face and spoke, "can you hold a sec please, I just need to tell my daughter what's happened, okay," he said, putting his hand on the receiver.

"It's your Uncle, he's gone missing. He went for a lunch meeting in London yesterday to discuss and new project and he hasn't been seen since."

My mouth widened into an "o" shape. This didn't sound good.

He was on medication for depression and needed to take it every day or he was in danger of a relapse. My Aunt was distraught. Initially she thought he had just gone to stay with friends, as the meeting had over run. In those days, mobiles didn't exist; you didn't always get a phone call to say you wouldn't be home. However, when had not arrived at the studio in the morning and it was hitting lunchtime, something appeared to be truly amiss.

So everyone in the family took a list of numbers and our job was to phone all the contacts we had been divided but by the evening, my uncle still hadn't been located, although his car had been found near to the meeting he had been attending.

My Aunt and Grandparents, conducted an army like operation, we were to meet at Convent Garden at 7pm, for further instructions. To disobey was not an option and everyone arrived promptly with appropriate footwear. It was advisable with my grandmother, to always be prepared for most contingencies. I am sure she was previously a Girl Guide, as well as a Sunday School Teacher.

We were all allocated maps and areas to check and to report back via a phone box where another relative had been dispatched to take messages. Anyone else, who intended to use it that night, was out of luck! It was commandeered.

My father and I must have been walking the streets a good couple of hours, when we found a dishevelled man walking along the river bank.

He wandered over to us, swearing, shouting, we walked away embarrassed, thinking it was just another homeless person drinking cheap booze, begging for his next drink. His hair was unkempt and dirty and he looked as though he hadn't washed in days. There was a distinct smell of urine and sick as he passed close to us. My father grabbed my hand and we both walked at a pace to get away away from him.

This man was terrifying. The man followed us and we ran, then as we turned the corner, he shouted out a name.

"Esme!"

My father and I stopped in our tracks and both turned around.

There on the floor sobbing was the dishevelled man, calling my name. Now my name isn't that common, so it couldn't be an accident. Could it?