Chapter Three: Once Upon a Dream Doesn't Work

Dedicated to we_are_infinite because they came up with the title 'My Happily Never After' (a belated thanks - but I really am grateful!)

Finally updated!

Hope you guys enjoy:::

Chapter Three: Once Upon a Dream Doesn’t Work

My heart pounded widely in my chest, as I took a tentative step forwards, the whole dream seeming so life like to me.

But I knew it was a dream, because everything in that moment was completely perfect.

Isaac was standing directly in front of me, holding out his hand, waiting for me to take it. “Come on, Taylor.” He prompted, waving his hand impatiently while I remained stuck in place, wanting to savour the moment. “Taylor!” He whined, reaching out to me.

Reluctantly I took it, feeling the tingles shooting up and down my arm.

In my dream we weren’t eighteen anymore. We were back to being twelve – right when everything was still perfect in my life. Back where my feelings for Isaac weren’t a betrayal to Rachel, because she didn’t even know him at this point.

He was mine. Or at least as close as ‘mine’ as he ever was or could be.

“You’re so silly Taylor.” Isaac was shaking his head affectionately at me. His whole face lit up in a smile. “You don’t have anything to be afraid of.”

I was frowning at him. “Liar.” I accused.

There were plenty of things to be afraid of, not the least of which including psycho clowns and spiders.

He grinned at me, shaking his head. “There’s nothing to be afraid of when I’m here.” He corrected himself. I bit gently on my lip, mulling his words over in my head. He was right. Nothing bad ever happened when I was with Isaac.

Bullies left me alone, boring days became less dull, and frowns always had a way of turning into smiles.

“Come on, Taylor.” He implored further, giving me his best puppy dog eyes, which never failed to work.

I sighed in defeat, knowing I was just a few minutes away from losing this argument badly. Especially when he was pulling that face.

I felt my stomach knot up. Hesitantly, I glanced across the park to where a few kids had invited us to play football. Or more accurately they invited him to play football. But being the nice guy he was, he would never just abandon me like that.

I chewed on my lip.

“Please.” He begged. “It’ll be fun.”

I smiled a little. “Promise?” I asked.

He beamed at me; we both knew he would never break a promise to me. “I promise.” He grinned.

“Fine. We can play.” I agreed.

“Yes!” He whooped. “You’re the best.” He told me, his eyes shining with truth, sending my heart into a frenzy.

“Liar.” I accused him again.

His eyes twinkled as he squeezed my hand. “You’ll always be my favourite girl.” He swore.

(…That was the first and only promise to me he ever broke).