Chapter 13 - Imperfect Me

In the morning, I went outside to see if Erik had left my waist pack inside the mailbox. But it was empty. I wondered if I could do without a cell phone for the day but what if he came over and see my eye? What then?

I had stupidly forgotten to put the ice on my face last night, and now the skin beneath my right eye was swollen. There was also a small bruise on my cheek bone, probably where David's ring had hit me. It wasn't too bad, but if one looked closely, they'd spot it. At least a doctor would, I thought. So I piled on the concealer and the make-up, and put on my sunglasses. My plan so far was simple: Go into the studio, get the cellphone and get out. If I was lucky, Erik would have left my waist pack in the studio after attempting to drop it off at the house last night.

I got Michael dressed and loaded him into the car, not even bothering to make him breakfast except for Cheerios in a little baggie. It was still early as I parked the car behind Erik's garage and headed to the private entrance into the studio. Once inside, I sat Michael on the futon and told him to stay there while I quickly went into the bathroom, hoping I'd find my waist pack on the counter.

But it wasn't there, and neither was my phone. When I emerged from the bathroom, Michael was gone and the door leading to the rest of the house was wide open. Then I heard Olivia's voice calling Michael's name.

Cursing, I checked my reflection in the mirror, making sure my sunglasses hid my eyes. Then taking a deep breath, I went out to the living room. What on earth was Olivia doing in Erik's house so early in the morning, I wondered.

The dogs, Thelma and Louise, flanked Michael on either side and he was giggling, Thelma's wagging tail tickling his hand. A few feet away, Bella sat on the floor surrounded by her toys. She was shouting the way babies shout at Michael, as if calling him to join her.

"Michael, let's go, baby," I said. "We can't be bothering your Auntie Olivia."

"Oh, he's not a bother at all! Why don't you join us for breakfast?" Olivia said, mashing some bananas in a bowl.

"We already had breakfast," I lied even as Michael pointed to a whole banana on the table.

"Banana, pewees."

"We only stopped by to get my waist pack. I forgot it last night," I said quickly, trying to pull Michael back towards the studio.

"Oh, your phone! Erik left about twenty minutes ago to drop it off at your house. You just missed each other," Olivia said as Michael tried reaching for the banana on the table. "Is it alright if I gave him a banana?"

"Of course," I said, as Olivia peeled the banana, sliced it into bite-sized pieces and put it in a bowl. I watched her delicate fingers hold the bowl towards Michael. She made everything look so beautiful, I thought, her movements so graceful.

"Here you go, Michael," she said as Michael took the bowl from her and plopped himself next to one of the dogs. "Is it alright that he sits with the dogs? I make sure they're groomed so they shouldn't have any dander. I hope you're both not allergic to dogs."

"We're not."

"Erik told me he met David last night," Olivia said as she looked at me, her eyes narrowing briefly. "If you ever need any help with watching Michael, Sam, you can always leave him with me. Bella needs a playmate besides just her poor mommy."

"I can't possibly do that," I said. "He's a handful. And you've already got your hands full."

She laughed. "Sure you can. Besides Bella's got her own nanny, Consuela. And now, I have Zia Francesca to help me."

"Who's Zia Francesca?"

As if saying her name had summoned her, Zia Francesca Firelli walked into the living room, entering through the door that led to the garden. She was an older woman with a kind brown face and a wide smile, and she began speaking in rapid Italian to Olivia.