Chapter 23 - Pleine Air

"Have you guys met before?" Erik asked.

Reluctantly, I nodded. I kept my eyes on Josh, as if pleading for him to not say anymore. Just because I'd shown Erik my scars didn't mean I was ready to reveal my abuse under David's hands.

"Yes, in passing," I said. "The Hermosa PD is two blocks away from me, and the library is right there. I - I often go there for story time with Michael."

"How's your hand?" Josh asked, ignoring the look I gave him.

"It's - it's fine," I replied, annoyed that Josh chose to draw attention to how we met.

"What happened to her hand?" Erik asked, his gaze going from one to the other. "I had no idea you guys knew each other."

"We don't," I replied quickly. "At least not personally. My hand was probably in a cast around the time I was taking Michael to the library and he has a tendency to run. Maybe that's how Josh remembers seeing me then. Isn't it?"

"Yeah, I remember you with your son and your cast, but you might need to tell Erik how you broke it some time. He's a doctor, you know," Josh said, before turning to face Erik. "Good to see you back here, man. It's been what - five years - since you've been back? Not complaining, mind you."

Erik nodded. "I hope your parents don't mind me dropping by on short notice."

"Mind? They were beyond excited to hear your voice asking for last minute availability!" Josh laughed. "They should be making their way back here soon. Mom wanted to welcome you two in person."

From where Josh entered, a couple came in carrying a basket filled with cut flowers. Silver-haired and tanned, they greeted us, apologizing for not being at the desk when we arrived. Helen Morin was a kind-faced woman with wide blue eyes that Josh clearly inherited. His father, Craig, had light brown eyes and a thin-lipped smile. He was built like a tank, with broad chest and big arms.

After all the introductions, Craig and Helen invited us to lunch on the veranda overlooking their six-acre property. From where I sat close to the balcony railing, I could see the quaint roofs of smaller buildings between trees and pathways. I learned that Craig had worked for the fire department in Manhattan Beach while Helen used to own a travel book shop on the main street. They'd had remained there were it not for Helen inheriting Rosemary Inn from her parents ten years ago, and after commuting every weekend, they decided to retire there and manage the bed and breakfast themselves. Josh, who worked for the Hermosa Police Department, took over the house in Manhattan Beach though he often came up during his days off to help them.

"Olivia is coming up next week," Josh said, grinning. "Her and her Italian contingent."

"Best hand out ear plugs for your guests then," Erik laughed. "I love them, don't get me wrong, but they forget how quiet my neighbors like to be."

"We have them staying at two of the casitas. One for Olivia and Bella and the other for the in-laws," Helen said. "The houses share an herb garden right in front of it. You remember those casitas, don't you, Erik? You and Serena stayed in one of -"

"Aren't you joining them, Erik?" Asked Craig, and I caught the look he gave his wife.

"I work next weekend," Erik said, taking a sip of iced water. He searched for my hand under the table and squeezed it. "Rosemary Inn has four small cottages in the property, called casitas. They offer families or small groups privacy, away from the main building itself."

"How many bedrooms does the inn have?" I asked. "The main building?"

"Six, plus two suites," Helen replied. "So, Sam, what do you do? And how did you two meet?"