Chapter 39 - What David Wants He Gets

"I certainly hope that you didn't propose to me just so you and I could be celibate until the big day. It's been two weeks."

"What?" Erik was flipping cable channels, his arm over my shoulder as I sat next to him on the couch. It was mid-afternoon, and in front of us, Michael was on the floor, bumping wooden cable cars against each other, creating stories about Thomas and his friends on the island of Sodor.

"You heard me," I grumbled, rubbing the top of his thigh with my good hand. "Don't pretend you didn't hear what I just said. And I'm not some delicate doll that can get broken just by being manhandled or anything. Still, it's been two weeks and it's driving me crazy."

"That should be incentive enough to rush the wedding, don't you think?" Erik chuckled, his hand lazily playing with my hair. "But before you assume that I was saving it for the big night, there is the fact that your mother is staying under the same roof, next to my bedroom, which you happen to have taken over and managed to have kicked me out of."

"So?" I whispered. "It's not like she doesn't know about the birds and the bees. Besides, I didn't take anything over. You chose to sleep on the couch from that first night and I don't know why you haven't been back. But don't change the subject, Erik. I'm sure my mother is familiar with the things that couples do."

"I'm sure she does, but she's still your mother. And I'm not about to do all the bad things I can possibly think of with you when you're supposed to be recovering - and when she's sleeping right next door," Erik said, a knowing smile on your face. "You're blushing, by the way. You can say it, too - whatever it is couples do."

"Don't make this about me. I think you've impressed her enough. She won't mind," I said. "You're her doctor, for crying out loud."

"Being her doctor doesn't mean that I forget that I'm also her soon-to-be son-in-law, Sam," he said. "And as for me taking the couch, there's your hand to contend with. You almost passed out when Michael grabbed it that one time, remember? So no, no foolish business till it at least your arm stops swelling."

"But what if it's going to take another two weeks before my arm stops swelling? That's just an excuse. I might as well go home and get my vibe-"

"Shh," Erik warned, glancing at Michael as I blushed. I pouted again, and Erik only laughed. "You'll have to wait, impatient grasshopper. I promise you it will be worth it. Besides, I like seeing you this...frisky."

"Don't tell me you're really very conservative underneath, Erik. I mean, you can't be that old-fashioned."

"When it comes to my fiancee's mother living under the same roof, yes," he said, trying to look serious but I could see the corners of his mouth lifting. He was teasing me these past two weeks and it was driving me crazy. "Besides, have you heard yourself when we do it? It's a miracle your neighbors didn't complain the last time-"

"Shut up!" I exclaimed, punching him with my good hand.

"Is everything alright with you two?" Anna asked, coming down the stairs as Erik and I straightened ourselves on the couch. I suddenly felt like a teenager caught necking with her boyfriend on the couch. "You two can get it on if you want, you know," she smiled. "Don't stop on account of me being here. I won't mind. Really, I won't."

"Mom!" I wailed, now really embarrassed as Erik laughed out loud.

Anna went into the kitchen as Erik removed my hand from his thigh, which was bordering pretty close to risqué territory. She returned with a tray of cookies and milk for Michael and set on the coffee table before us, forcing Erik to remove his bare feet from the table top. I wondered what he really thought of having his house suddenly filled with members of my family. Except for the studio, which I had yet to set foot into, we'd basically taken over his whole house.