Chapter 17

Rue's POV
I woke up in a car, my head on Uncle Kol's chest, I whimpered, then mumbled" Where are we?"
He said" Leaving New Orleans, darling, getting you to a safe place."
" But what about dad?"
" We'll figure it out, darling, I promise."
" Okay, Uncle Kol." I sat up and then looked at Uncle Elijah,
Uncle Elijah said" We'll get you somewhere safe then we'll plan for Niklaus."
" Okay."
Aunt Rebekah said" Go back to sleep, luv, we'll be driving for a while."
" Okay." I laid my head on Uncle Kol's chest again and fell asleep.

Kol's POV
Rue fell asleep against my chest, I looked at Elijah and Rebekah, what the bloody hell are we going to do about Rue? She's obviously heartbroken, but we can't do anything for Nik till she's far away from Marcellus Gerard.
We got to a town, then drove further, I looked at Rebekah, I said" What are we doing?"
She said" We don't know, Kol, we're finding a safe place we can put in her name so no one can come in. Except for us, and then we're keeping the document in our home and compelling whoever dealt with it to forget all about it."
" Alright. But you know we can't keep her locked away, she'll grow bored and tired."
" If that's what we have to do to protect our niece... then that's what we'll do."
" I know, but she'll grow to hate us for keeping her away from the world."
" It won't matter if it keeps her safe and away from other vampires."
" Alright." I looked at Rue, who was still asleep, she's completely exhausted, and I feel sorry for her, she got kidnapped and her father taken away from her in the same day. I rubbed her hair and kissed her head then smiled as she cuddled into me more.

We got a deed to a house in the middle of nowhere, a few miles out from a small town. We put Rue's name onto the deed then compelled the person to forget about everything. We pulled up to the house and Rue got out, she hasn't spoken since her father was taken, but we know that she's grieving, she lost her father, even though he's not dead. I followed Rue, then stopped at the door way,
I said" Darling, you'll have to invite us in." She nodded," Can i come in?" She nodded and I walked in, she nodded the same as Elijah and Rebekah stepped up. I wrapped an arm around her and led her to her room," This is your room, it's down the hall from mine, if you ever need me, alright? And Elijah and Rebekah are just downstairs." She nodded," Want me to help set up your room?" She shook her head, I put her stuff down and walked away, knowing she just wanted to be alone even though I know she needs comfort.

Rue's POV
After finishing my room, I walked downstairs, and walked to Uncle Elijah, tears welled in my eyes and then I started crying. He wrapped his arms around me and held me close as I cried.
He said" You're alright, shh, darling, everything will be alright."
I said" No, it won't! He's gone! Im never gonna see him again!"
" You will see him again, I promise you will see him again."
" How can you promise something you cant control?"
" Because I know I will rescue my brother, even if it takes years."
" Okay." He lifted me into his arms and carried me to the kitchen, he sat me on the counter,
" Are you hungry?"
" Yeah."
" Well, the town isn't too far, tell Kol and he'll take you grocery shopping."
" But what if Marcellus tracked us down?"
" Kol will protect you, and Marcellus hasn't, he doesn't care about you, he only cared for getting his revenge as he has."
" Okay."
" Kol, come here." Uncle Kol was next to us in a second, he looked at us and then smiled at me, hugging my shoulder." Take her grocery shopping, be back soon."
Uncle Kol said" Alright, let's go, darling." He led me out of the house and to the car.

Once we got to the grocery store, We got out and went in. Uncle Kol watched as I put junk food into the cart,
He said" Darling, as much as I love junk food, we need to get some real food so we can cook."
I said" Okay." We got food that they could cook, and headed out of the store, Kol stopped me from moving. I froze instantly started shaking, Uncle Kol looked down as I saw his eyes change.
" Stay with me, don't leave my side, Rue. Do not leave my side."
" Okay." I clang to his left arm, and he led me to the car, he hissed then pushed me away from him as he turned around and stopped a guy from grabbing me,
" Who sent you?!"
The guy said" No one! I didn't know you were a vampire."
" I'm an Original Vampire!"
" Good, can you let me go?" Then someone grabbed my arm, I screamed and then turned around, to be faced with a stranger. Uncle Kol hissed and sped to me, he punched the woman holding my arm and pulled me into his chest. The guy ran forward and Uncle Kol plunged his hand into the guy's chest, grabbing his heart. The guy gasped and choked on blood, I closed my eyes as I heard Uncle Kol rip out his heart. I opened my eyes and saw Uncle Kol and the woman gone, I started shaking.
After a few minutes, Uncle Kol came back, his arms instantly held my shoulders as he checked to make sure I was okay.
I mumbled" I'm okay."
He said" Come on, we've got to go now." He threw the groceries into the car and put me into the seat, He got in and drove off." Those two weren't working for Marcellus... I checked, we're safe now."
" Okay." I was still shaking, He grabbed my hand, giving me a comforting squeeze. I gulped then nodded.

Once we got back, Uncle Elijah was the first one to me, he lifted me up and held me. I wrapped my arms around his neck, I was still shaking, I couldn't stop. Aunt Rebekah and Uncle Kol got the groceries out, as Uncle Elijah carried me inside, he put me down onto the couch and wrapped a blanket around me. I instantly noticed the blanket smelled like my dad and cuddled into it. Comforted by his scent. Uncle Elijah rubbed my hair as he watched me carefully, my eyes fluttered close before they finally shut and I fell asleep.