PROLOGUE

Hello readers,

This is my first story on wattpad and any and all positive or constructive comments are welcome. If you like it, please vote and tell, your friends. I'm having a creative overload and will upload at least five chapters this week, don't worry, they won't be as slow as this one. Below there is a video of Kleve and Emmerich. This is just an introduction to the character.

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BibSZyUhcUe/
Please enjoy and VOTE:)

com/p/BibSZyUhcUe/Please enjoy and VOTE:)

xxxxxxxxx

The game wasn't all that difficult, yet she still found herself struggling. She couldn't seem to get a single ball to the back of the net! Granted she wasn't the most athletic twenty-one-year-old, but surely she could get through this with her dignity intact, right? She carefully placed the ball on the ground then moved back, psyching herself into it. Come on, she could do it! Just get the ball in the back of the net Ava.

Beep-beep. Beep-beep.

The obnoxious sound of her alarm pulled her out of her self-imposed misery. After one more half-hearted attempt, she gave up and decided to shut down her computer.

Beep-beep. Beep-beep.

The alarm was still ringing and as she hurriedly threw things in her bag whilst searching for her freaking phone which was hiding somewhere in her somewhat messy room. She told herself, not for the first time that month, that she should probably clean it up. She wasn't an untidy person in general, it's just that if some of her things found their way onto the floor in her room, well who was she to stand in their way!

As if making her case for her she found her phone underneath a couple of books on her desk. Reminding her that she had been in the middle of studying when she'd decided to take a 'quick' break. She barrelled out the door and flew down the stairs to the kitchen, grabbing her carton of grapes and a bottle of water. She loved popping the purple delights in her mouth and crushing into their delicious sweetness. They were perfect on-the-go food.

She grabbed her coat and her keys, then headed out the door towards the bus stop. Passing by the bakery where she was tempted to just pop in for a bite, however the last time she'd done that, she'd ended up missing her bus altogether! With steely resolve she jogged past, her stomach grumbling as it said goodbye to the warm croissants which oozed chocolatey goodness. Hmmm, maybe she could just pop in to the bakery by her university before rushing to her class, which she'd definitely be late for...

As she got closer to the bus stop she saw the bus approaching and knew it was time to use those legs and run like the wind. Ava had been told on many occasions that she had great legs and knew that her past as a dancer had definitely paid off. Besides that, she didn't think she had much going for her, the gods had gifted her with difficult bushy hair, much like the girl from Brave, who was a hero to all Reds out there. Her face was a pretty one, if not overly ordinary, highlighted only by her daring green flecked deep sea blue eyes. But despite its temperamental nature, the autumn tones of her hair were definitely her most distinguishing feature by miles.

By now she was already on the bus, comfortably occupying two seats, one for her, and one for her bag, after all, a girl can never have too much space. Ava hated the anxiety she got when in situations where she had to communicate with other human-beings, so she easily justified this action. She put her earphones in and looked out the window, as the bus went over the bridge separating Emmerich and Kleve, the longest suspension bridge in Germany she'd been told. It was a beautiful cliché, everything one would expect from a European town; charming and full of history. As the trees whizzed past her and she saw the first few buildings that heralded the town of Kleve she was sad to say goodbye to the calm of nature and to be immersed in humanisation as she called it.

She grew up in London and had had to endure the dreary city all her life, aside from the occasional sunny summer in the 'exotic' town of Brighton, just an hour away from home. But sometimes the weather would punish Ava with rain, as if to remind her to be grateful for the little things. Remembering this, she begrudgingly admitted that this small town was not the worst thing to happen to her, in fact, it was a dream in comparison to her everyday life.

The bus jerked to a stop by her university and she jumped off, making a bee line for the bakery, which was a few minutes away. Ten minutes later she strolled to her class, warm treat in hand and not a single regret. Hell, she was already late, so why punish herself with hunger. Whoever decided that Cross-cultural competence should be the only class on a Monday and at two p.m was clearly bonkers!

The class had a strict attendance requirement, which was the only reason students dragged themselves to school in the first place, however, no one really cared to pay attention or show up on time as they rightfully blamed the class of robbing them of a potential three-day weekend. Walking in she grabbed her seat in the back row by herself.

She let out a groan when the over-eager teacher decided to pair them up for some 'fun' exercise. Honestly, if one were to look up the word fun, it can't be certain what they would find, but I know that it would most certainly not be a picture of Mrs Swartz with her creepy love-me-please smile. Oh well, Ava thought, she might as well look for someone to attach herself to, seeing as how walking out of class was not an option, although she briefly and fondly entertained the thought. Not for long though, she was an exchange student; she needed the credits.

Peering around the class she realised, in growing dismay, as she fervently searched through the class, that everyone else was already paired up. This was one of those moments where being a social misfit had its pitfalls. Why on earth did she not make friends the entire six months she was here? With growing panic, she saw the teacher's eyes roam the class and settle decidedly on the single Pringle that was her. Mrs Swartz grinned at her and enthusiastically declared, much to the amusement of the rest of the class that 'Dear old Red' was going to be her partner, in an alarmingly terrible British accent.

The class slugged along and finally came to a satisfying end. It was already getting dark outside, signalling that winter was indeed coming and after looking at her watch, Ava realised that she had at least another hour to wait until her bus came. Deciding to use the extra time to walk through the cobblestone streets of Kleve, she tried to memorise them as a form of goodbye.

The rest of her week would not be as easy as this. She was going back home on Saturday evening and although she wouldn't miss anybody here in particular she would definitely miss this non-Brighton, non-London experience. All that was left now was her thesis and she knew that she would have no problems with that as Ava was an extremely gifted pupil. But after graduating, then what? Would she ever know the care-free peace that this town brought to her? Would she ever truly be free?

Not for the first time, Ava wanted to escape her life entirely, little did she know she would soon embark on an adventure of a lifetime.
Please check out my new book Cordelia Storm. It's waaay better than this one and it's a funny light read:))

xxxxxxxxxx

Hope you enjoyed, please vote and comment, also, please help me pick a cover for my book, I will upload five new chapters this week, thank you very much for reading my fellow adventurers🙂

XOXO

Rue a.k.a. WakingThought