CHAPTER TWENTY

Enjoy the chapter and thank you for still reading:)

Devin

"Dev!"

"Devin!" 

He turned around to the face he recognised so well. "My cousin is on the field."

Continuing his death march he decided not to let Merrissa ruin his day. He and Ava were getting somewhere and the thought of that was both exhilarating and terrifying. 

"C'mon Devin, just give me a few minutes, we need to talk." When he continued walking she added, "You've known me long enough to know I won't stop so you might as well get it over with."

Taking a deep breath, he weighed his options and turning towards her, he finally rolled his eyes. She was right, he had never known her to let anything go, turning back he lead her over to underneath the bleachers where Mr Cardiff wouldn't see them and call it loitering.

"What's so important Mare?" He shouldn't have used that nickname for her, he knew the minute she smirked back at him.

"I need you to get that Ava bitch off of my back for the play."

"Are you serious?"

He couldn't believe that he had come back to freaking highschool to deal with this bs when he really didn't need to. Throwing his head back, he tried to draw on his patience.

"You're going to help me Devin."

"And this is my cue to leave." He turned around to leave, barely holding onto his anger when she grabbed the back of his hand.

"Remember that pretty little girl who you liked back in junior year? Remember what happened to her."

"Are you threatening me?" His eye twitched, he could almost find this funny if it wasn't for her threatening his Cat. 

More and more over the past few weeks it had become harder to control his feelings for her, she was the most unique person he'd ever met. She was beautiful, intelligent, cool and fiery all in one package. 

His inability to commit had made the honourable part of him stay in the friend zone, but now, he was certain that he wanted more. Even though he wasn't sure he had the skills to sustain that.

"Of course not," she smiled brightly, "I'm threatening her. She has secrets, secrets that I'm sure she doesn't want anybody knowing."

Devin already knew that there was a lot that Ava wasn't saying which did nothing to assuage his doubts about entering into a relationship with her. However, if or when the time came for him to make things official with her, he'd be the one to uncover any information on her.

"What secrets?" His voice was deceptively calm.

"Well, it wouldn't be a secret if I told you now would it Dev?"

He grabbed her shoulders and shook her, she was getting under his skin. The only advantage he had was that she thought she was threatening the same aimless orphan playboy he'd been when he left school in the first place, but one didn't become a successful club owner in Brazil without getting his hands a little dirty.

"If you touch her, I will destroy you and your family."

"I don't think you'd be saying that if you knew her secret. Did she tell you about her British boyfriend?"

"What?" She'd thrown him again.

She slid his hands off her shoulder and used the opportunity to move closer to him. Her plan was underway. Merrissa made sure that she had her target in sight before leaning over as if she was going to whisper in his ear. There's that red headed bitch, enter stage left.