Chapter 1: Yina Athara

Sunlight shone through the elaborate stain glass that had a man riding a dragon into the sky.  Multiple colors shown on the girls desk as she stared off in thought.  At least the day was half over is all Yina could think as she barely heard what her teacher was saying.  

Fidgeting with her long black hair that was up in a braid she thought to her plans for the next day.  She was going to go out and hunt for her very own dragon egg.  She only had a few more weeks before she turned sixteen.  If this happened before she found that egg and bound to it then she would forever be unable to do so.  

"Ms. Athara, MS. ATHARA."  A shout wedged it's way through Yina's thoughts as she turned to face her teacher.  

Yina's brilliant green eyes stared at the teacher.  Mrs. Eren was a very slender and tall woman who had probably been gorgeous in her youth but now age had taken over.  Not to mention that she always seemed to have a scowl on her face.  Short grey hair framed the woman's face which actually made her golden eyes stand out more.  "Yes ma'am."  Yina stated with little nervousness in her voice.  

The teacher was wearing typically binder garb.  This consisted of a set of red robes that were tied around at the waist to of course keep a woman's natural curves.  It was trimmed in gold with several gold symbols in the ancient language stitched.  A pendant was found in the middle of the neckline that designated one standing in the binders.  Mrs. Eren had the second highest rank under the High Binder.  

The rest of the girls in the room also wore similar robes however they had zero symbols drawn on the robes.  Each signified the name of a dragon they had bound to a human.  The girl's robes were also a light brown color.  The pendant on there necks were just simple blood-stone.  Both were just placeholders for the real thing.  

Clicking her tongue Mrs. Eren repeated the question Yina had missed in her daydreaming.  "How long do you have to complete a binding once it has started?"  Her arms were crossed one foot tapping impatiently.  Yina and Mrs. Eren did not get along well.  

Rolling her eyes Yina spoke, "You have to be fast, within a rough five minute window.  Basically before the blood dries so that the magic inside of the blood can take effect."  There was little to no excitement from the woman's voice.  She had been drilled and trained to be a Binder since before she could remember.  Yina had learned very little since coming to the temple for official training.  

"That is correct."  Mrs. Eren stated with disgust as she turned to the last of the class.  "Only fresh blood and blood that has yet to dry will allow the one to be bound to the dragon to activate the symbols drawn completely the spell."  Some of the other classmates glared at Yina or just ignored her.  

Most of them were nobles just like Yina, however she was not in any way friends with them.  As much as that fact seemed to anger her mother.  Many of them were just too girly for Yina or just wanted to gossip about boys and other insignificant things.  To many cared about playing the political game, which Yina had no desire to do.  All Yina dreamed of was becoming a Dragon Bound.  

Becoming a Dragon Bound is when a young man or woman under the age of sixteen finds a dragon egg and preforms a special ritual.  This is done by drawing symbols using the one who wishes to bind to the eggs blood.  Once the symbols are done a binder will then chant the spell in a dead language only binders are allowed to know.  Yina had known this before she could speak in the common tongue. 

Once this is done the person who is bound to the dragon will gain quite a few benefits.  The biggest of them is that a Bound will grow stronger and faster then normal human's as well as having keen senses like a dragon.  Not quite as keen as a dragon but far superior to other humans.  By binding to a dragon the Bound is also able to utilize the dragon's innate magic and gains a unique power.  

"Alright class, it is time for our daily douse of Elixir."  Mrs. Eren stated as several servants zipped into the room with a large ornate cauldron.  Lifting up the lid a reddish smoke flashed out as they stirred in several times a few words in the ancient tongue before pouring the liquid into clear crystal goblets.  

The liquid itself was red, and Yina hated the taste of it.  The elixir was what allowed the binders to pull of a binding.  She did not know all of the ingredients but the main one was dragon blood, fresh dragon blood.  This caused the elixir to be lukewarm and taste like metal.  Almost every part of a dragon is magical, the blood having the most.  

Binders will drink it absorbing some of that magic into themselves allowing them to then make the connection between a dragon and a human.  The process takes years which is why being a binder starts as early as five years old.  Once you have done your first binding the dragon magic is permanently infused in the binders blood.  

Taking the goblet she grumbled and quickly chugged the red liquid trying to ignore the bitter metallic taste that rushed paste her taste buds.  Yina never could get used to the elixir even though she had been drinking it probably since she was born.  Her mother was the Head Binder in Sastan, as had her mother before her.  

This caused Yina to have only one choice which was not even a choice, and that was to become a binder.  Sastan was a unique nation, it was a matriarch type nation.  The surnames of kids and in marriages were taken from the woman and not the men.  As well as the oldest female was the one set to inherit everything.  

With the exception of the king or queen.  In their line, whoever is the oldest will raise up and become the next king or queen.  Anyone who marries into the family will take the royal surname regardless of gender.  

Yina was jealous of the royal line, she belonged to the oldest and most powerful nobles of the nation.  Sadly that was not enough to really matter.  The royal children were forced to become Bound before they reached sixteen.  No nation in this world is dumb enough to have a leader who is not bound.  

"Remember girls, several of you are turning sixteen soon and will preform your first binding.  Make sure you are ready."  Mrs. Eren stated the permanent scowl almost turning into a smile.  In Sastan, only girls were able to become binders.  Not only that but very few women become bound.  It was not a set rule but it just did not happen often, Yina could think of only a few woman bound in the country.   

"Yay us."  Yina muttered to herself a little too loudly as she crossed her arms.  The reminder that her birthday was coming up only caused her more stress.  She had little time to find a dragon egg, which were already pretty rare in the region.  

The partial smile vanished as Mrs. Eren whipped around to meet Yina's eyes a smoldering fire in them.  "How dare you.  I am tired of your insolence, these other girls have dreamed of this day all their life.  You are just a spoiled brat who should be grateful to be in line to become the next Head Binder."  Mrs. Eren's face had turned red and she was shaking.  

All the other girls just sat back and watched mouths almost to the floor.  Yina and her teacher had spats here and there but never had it come to this.  If they were not on the floor the following event sure caused them to.  

Laughter echoed through the eerily quiet room as Yina stood up and grabbed her bag walking towards the door.  "Good for them, I am not a sheep to be led around and do the bidding of others.  You should remember to keep your jealousy in check Liti."  Yina had thrown out the woman's first name, everyone knew it but it was almost sacrilege to use it towards a teacher.   

She had known the woman for years, she had hoped to become successor to her mother.  Sadly Yina's mom had no desire to step down.  Yina actually had fond memories of the woman, when she as child she was almost more of a mother to her then her own.  However a fight between her teacher and mother had caused a divide.  Plus Yina's general attitude towards being a binder did not help.  

"YOU GET BACK HERE CLASS IS NOT OVER."  The shouts did not stop Yina at all as she smiled knowing that she had finally sent Mrs. Eren over the edge, slamming the door behind her.