Chapter 4: Family

Voren Athara, Yina's father was a easy going man.  The two of them walked in silence for a while.  Both choosing to just be at peace while it lasted.  Chances were high that things would not be as peaceful at home or whenever Cera, Yina's mother got home.  

The silence finally was eating at Yina and so she asked the question on her mind.  "So, I guess you heard I skipped out of class?"  It was a obvious question but she figured she might as well get this over with now, well at least with her dad.  

"As well as that you stripped down to that in the temple halls."  Voren stated pointing to her current outfit.  A smile was tugging at his lips though.  "Not going to lie I would have loved to see the faces of those binders who passed you."  A snicker broke his lips.  

This helped soften Yina up as she smiled, "It was pretty funny."  She understood why it was such a big deal but at the same time it shouldn't be.  It was no more revealing then the dresses some women wear when going to the balls and events.  

"You do know that your mother is not going to be pleasant when she finally comes home."  Her dad muttered picking his way through the crowd nodding to people here and there.  It was the most successful trader in the nation.  Almost all trades to and from the city he had some hand in, marrying Cera, had just made him more powerful.  He had spent most of his life before marriage in Alary the ocean nation.  

Rolling her eyes she picked at the wooden gauntlets.  "Our conversation are never pleasant."  Yina hissed keeping her eyes from her fathers face.  It was true, for several years the only conversations the two had tended to escalate into fights.  

Veran sighed, "Today will be worse, you embarrassed the family with the stunt you pulled.  You know your mother does not take that lightly."  Grabbing Yina he pulled her close.  He knew what she was going through, but had no way of actually being able to help her.  

"Just wait until I when the Endorsement."  Yina spat.  It was no secret between them that she wanted to compete.  Until she did however there would be no way for her mom to try to ban binders and none have ever tried.  The council and king would just laugh and say that it will never be a issue.  

"I believe you can win, and for your sake I hope you do.  I have been trying to get a hold of a dragon egg for you.  However even with all of my power they won't give in.  They see it as only trying to make a profit since I have two daughters in training to become binders."  Veran sadly stated.  She was proud of her father for trying, it was one of the reasons she planned to head out and find her own.  

"Thank you dad, for supporting me even when you shouldn't."  Yina mumbled as she leaned into her father as they continued to walk in silence the remainder of the way back.  

Reaching the gates to the noble section the guards nodded and opened the gates recognizing the two of them.  Their house was right next to the inner gates that separated the palace from the residential area.  

It was a large manor, way bigger then the four of them needed.  It had ten full furnished bedrooms and three sitting areas.  The kitchen was the size of four rooms, with a dining room twice the size.  The best part in Yina's mind about the manor was the lavish gardens in the back full of flowers from all over the world.  

Pushing through the door she smiled at seeing her little sister.  "Hey Zyla, come to welcome home your brave and defiant sister."  She had silver eyes like their father, but the same dark black hair Yina and their mother had.  Zyla was small, and skinny but that was to be expected from a ten year old.  Just like Yina she was being groomed to become a binder regardless of what she might want.  

"Or to watch mother murder you."  She stated having gained some sass from her big sister.  However the large smile on her face was enough to melt any person's soul as Yina scooped her up in a big hug.  

"Well, if she does you are welcome to all of my stuff."  She joked messing up Zyla's hair.  The smell of food drifted to her nose, she had just eaten but it still made her mouth water.  "I am going to go change before mother arrives, least I can do is not let her see me in this."  Smiling wistfully she took off up the stairs.  

Yina's room was on the top floor in the farthest corner from the entrance.  Pushing the door open she tossed her back into the corner.  The room was by all means extravagant with a lush plush bed and expensive furniture everywhere.  Opening her closet it was full of mostly the robes a binder would wear but on one side was fancy dresses.  The other various types of armor that she had collected.  

For years her mother would toss out anything that resembled training equipment and Yina would go out and find more.  Eventually the fight ended when Cera decided to give up and let her have the items.  It was a small win, because the woman knew that in the end Yina would follow her footsteps and that would be the end of it.  

Pushing the clothes she got into a dresser behind them hanging close and pulled out what one would call commoner clothes.  It was just simple pants and a shirt, she found them more comfortable then the expensive silk clothes the rest of the family used.  They were a maroon color as she brushed her hair and braided it.  

A servant knocked politely on her door almost a hour later announcing that supper was being served.  Looking one last time at herself in the mirror Yina took a deep breath and made her way down to the main floor dining room where things would not end civilly.  

When she arrived the rest of the family was there, her mother at the head of the table.  Her father was sitting to her right, the left was almost always open.  The other two spots where were Yina and Zyla were to sit.  Pulling the chair back Yina sat down watching her mother to see any signs of her mood.  

Cera was a tall beautiful woman, she was 5'11 with long black hair just like Yina.  She to had it in a braid that fell behind her.  She wore the robes of a binder but hers were golden with numerous symbols etched into it.  The shining diamond of High Binder sat in it's golden pendant around her neck.  She sat regally not even relaxing and letting her air of nobility down even when at home.  

The two man brief eye contact but the woman gave nothing away as they sat there for a few minutes as per usual until the food was served.  The servants brought out roasted pig and several sides to compliment it.  Slices were carved up and served first to Cera, then to the rest of the family.  

Everyone waited until Cera began her first bite, after that everyone followed suit.  It was tradition for those in a nobles house to always wait for the host or hostess to eat first.  Even in their own home that still applied to them.  Yina assumed it was because of how prim and proper her mother was.  If she had noble friends she might know if that was the case in other houses but she did not.  

The silence and tension in the room was palpable as no one dared speak.  Everyone knew what had happened and everyone knew what was going to come.  The one thing Yina hated about her fights with her mother was that Zyla usually ended up scared.  Nights after the worst fights Yina would hear Zyla crying trying to be quiet so that no one else can hear her.  

A long thirty minutes later everyone was pretty much done with the meal when Cera spoke.  She had a silky smooth voice that could be closely compared to a sirens call.  If it was not for the general animosity Yina had for her mother the voice would probably be considered soothing, instead it was patronizing.  "So I hear you caused yet another scene Yina."  

Without waiting for a response by her child she continued.  "I have decided that since you are incapable of behaving like a respectable woman you will be sent to Ardasha.  There you will finish your binding training, only then will you return.  Ardasha was the second biggest city in Sastan in the far north.  Dread filled Yina, the Endorsement was only held in the Capital.