Chapter 10: Healer

Images came and went as Yina fought her unconsciousness the entire way back to the city.  Flashes of green from the trees below, the brilliant violet of Nyssa's scales as the sun reflected off of them.  Every time she tried to tell Clous not to take her back, but the words would not formulate.  

Nyssa on the other hand flew next to the copper dragon worried.  Yina was the only connection she had to this world, she had just lost her entire family.  Her body was heavy as she pushed herself to keep up with the larger dragon.  The fight with Belsenth had taken a lot out of her, memories of her ancestors reminded her that until she was full grown magic would be taxing.  

Several hours later the two swooped into the city landing gently outside of the noble district.  Luckily for Yina her father was in the area, he rushed to them almost tripping in his rush.  "What happened?"  He muttered as he helped pull his daughter down into his arms not caring about the blood smearing on his clothes.  

"I am not sure, they appeared out of the cave in a flash of light and asked me to collapse it."  He glanced over at Nyssa when he said they.  The little dragon was laying on the ground near Risang, finding comfort in the dragon in such a strange place.  

Voren's face became panicked, he understood immediately what had happened.  "My reckless girl."  He whispered kissing her forehead.  It was illegal to bind a dragon without permission, this was a law in all six nations.  

The first reason was if the wrong people become dragon bound they could rip the structure of the world to the ground.  Evidence of this was happening in Rak at that moment, he had been granted permission and it still turned out ugly.  

Control was the second reason, every nation wanted to control who could become a bound.  In Sastan a binder who preformed a unsanctioned binding was to be sentenced to death.  A unsanctioned dragon bound would have to watch their dragon be murdered and then banished from the nation.  A mark would be carved into their face designating them as a exile, this made other nations treat them poorly.  

Here Yina was, someone who broke not one but two of the biggest laws of the world.  

Voren rushed off carrying his daughter, two blocks later and Voren kicked open a door yelling.  "Healer bring me the healer."  Each nation typically had a few dragon bound who had gained healing as their power.  When this happened one or two were allowed to be a cities healer while the others were set aside for times of war.  

A middle aged woman burst out of the back face full of anger until she saw Yina.  "My gods, what happened to her?"  

"A dragon attacked her."  Clous stated helping Voren lift her up and place her on the table.  Removing the wounds by cutting it down the middle and pulling them to the sides.  The wounds started bleeding again almost immediately.  

"Leave me."  The healer stated as she turned to Yina and quickly wiped away some of the fresh blood.  "You are strong, let me fix you up."  Laying her hands on the wounds her body started to fade a light green, a burst of the same light left her hands enveloping Yina.  

The wounds on her body started to slowly close up, as if time was being rewound on the wounds.  Sweat dripped down the healers face as her breathing became labored, similar wounds started to form on her body but much slower then Yina's were removing.  

Her healing powers were a double bladed gift, she had to take in a portion of the wounds in order to heal.  It was why she was a city healer instead of a military one.  A solid green dragon strolled in from the back room about the size of a small pony.  Dragon's came in various sizes, this one was one of the smallest types.  Moss grew down the back of the dragon, random herbs and other plants sprouted from the middle of the moss.  

The timing was almost perfect as the healer fell backwards the dragon catching her with ease.  "You did well."  The dragon sent to the healer as it gently lay her onto the ground.  With a flick of its tail the dragon knocked the door open.  

The two men burst in Voren rushing to his daughter while Clous went to check on the healer.  Both of them knew her well and understood the kind of toll it took to heal.  With the same efficient hands as before Clous bandaged the wound applying a healing type material to the wound.  

---

Half a hour later Yina opened her eyes taking a deep breath shocked to feel no pain.  Looking down she saw the nearly flawless skin, only a few very faint scars could be seen from where the claws had ripped into her.  "Where am I?"  She stated trying to sit up, immediately regretting it as she became dizzy.  

"The healers."  Voren stated taking his daughters hand.  The worry on his face was evident even through his joyful smile.  "Welcome back baby, but it will not be long before they arrive to arrest you."  He stated calmly.  

Her eyes flicked to Clous, "You have to protect Nyssa."  She almost shouted this time managing to pull herself up regardless of the discomfort it caused.  Voren's strong hand prevented her from getting off the table.  

"I will protect her for as long as I can."  He stated with nod heading to leave room to go and be with Nyssa.  They would keep her locked up until the high council decided what they would do.  "I am sorry, I had to save you."  He stated hanging his head as he left.  Clous knew what would be waiting when they got back to the capital.  

Her father kept the hand there for a while as silence filled the room before he asked the only question to ask.  "Why?"  

Tears welled up in Yina's eyes but she forced them not to fall.  "I had no choice father."  She explained the events that happened in the cave in as much detail as she could.  It was a rather short story to explain considering how long it had felt for her to life through it.  

"I see, well maybe this will help you not be executed."  Her father stated with very little confidence in the statement.  "I will do what I can my love."  He stated cupping her face with his hand.  

"DO NOT TOUCH ME!!!"  Roared Nyssa mentally hitting all of them like a smack to the face.  Having regained some strength back Yina rushed out the door to find dragons and their bound surrounding the young dragon.  Nyssa's wings were glowing as electricity arced across her body.  

"Do not attack them Nyssa."  Yina stated rushing through the men to her dragon's side placing a hand on her neck the lightning arcing from the dragon to her hand.  The sensation was almost calming as the electricity coursed through her body.  "Just go with them please, Clous will watch over you.  He has promised to keep you safe even if I do get executed."  Yina sent mentally to her dragon trying to get her to calm down.  

Luckily for them she did the arcing stopped as she nuzzled Yina's hand.  "I cannot lose you."  The dragon whispered mentally, the words went to everyone in the area.  If they survived it would be something they would have to work on.  

The tears she had fought back finally broke free as she hugged her dragon whispering into her ear.  "I know."  The men gripped Yina firmly on her arms and pulled her away from the dragon snapping on metal cuffs before hauling her away.  

Glancing back Yina watched as Clous stayed close to Nyssa as they took her off to be locked up as well.  If the High Council was as efficient as they usually were it would not take long before they found out what would happen.

It was slightly reassuring to have her father with her during this as they walked through the palaces dungeon to a very sturdy looking cell.  She had heard of the cells that they used to hold Dragon Bound criminals.  The metal was thick, not to mention the guards themselves were bound.  

As the cell shut behind her she slammed against it out of anger.  "Your mother is on the high council, you might have a chance."  Voren stated as he reached in through the feeding hole to caress Yina's face one last time before the hole slammed shut sending the room into darkness.  

"No father, this means tomorrow I will be dead."  Yina whispered sinking back into the corner curling up into a ball.  She had never felt so powerless as she did now, which was funny since she was so much stronger then she used to be.