Chapter 9 (Roman)

I held Anxiety close calming him. I didn't know what had overcome me, but when I saw him on the floor, I couldn't think about anything except making him feel better. I felt him shift beneath me, and I looked down on him, a soft smile on my face.

"How do you feel?" I asked gently. He dodged my question.

"Why?" He asked timidly, as if afraid of the answer.

"Why what?"

"Why did you help me? You've never cared before." My heart twinged when I thought of all that had happened that fell in the category of "before". I opened my mouth to speak, but no words came out.

Come on, Roman! Now is your chance to tell him how you feel! Just say it. Tell him how you helped him because you care. You care about how he feels, and if he had a good day. Tell him that you can't bear to see him sad because it hurts for you. Tell him all this and more. Tell him.

"I-I..." I faltered as I stared into his beautiful brown eyes. Eyes that have seen so much hurt, and eyes that have cried many tears over it. Eyes that would destroy me if their owner didn't feel the same way. "I have to go!" And with that, I let go of him and quickly left.

Why did you bail? You're never going to get another chance like that! You've ruined it... Without thinking, I went straight to the living room, and saw Patton and Logan come in the door.

"Patton, Logan!" I screamed, and I encased them in a hug. I found myself sobbing into Patton's cardigan, desperately seeking help.

"Hey, hey! Kiddo it's okay. Breathe, and tell me what's wrong," Patton consoled me. I shakily nodded, and sat down on the couch with Patton while Logan got me some water. Between many shuddering breaths, I told them how I had found Anxiety on the floor, and how I had comforted him, and how we had sat for hours just enjoying each other's company. And at the end of my story, Patton asked the same question Anxiety had asked. The question even I was having trouble answering.

"Why?" Patton asked.

"Because... because..." I paused as the answer came to me. "Because I love him." And as I said it, I realized just how true it was. This wasn't some fling, Anxiety was special to me. He always had been.

"I don't understand," Logan told me. "You two are total opposites, this doesn't follow any logical reasoning."

"Well, Logan, love doesn't always follow reason! Sometimes, two people will be drawn together, whether or not they're similar," Patton said, risking a glance at him. The two stared into each other's eyes and, for a second, had a moment of mutual understanding, before remembering me and my dilemma. Patton quickly cleared his throat, a small blush forming on his cheeks.

"So if you love him, why didn't you tell him?" Patton asked, getting back on topic.

"Because I was scared! What if he doesn't love me back?" I asked, voicing the question that had been slowly killing me from the inside, out.

"Roman, it's hard but you have to tell him!"

"I can't!"

"You can!"

"I can't!"

"You won't," he said, his words hanging in the air.

"I-I," I realized that Patton was right, even if I didn't want him to be.

"Listen, Roman. I don't know that much about love, but I do know that what you and Anxiety have is special, and if you don't do anything about it, you're going to lose it. So here's my offer: You have a ball coming up that you don't have a date to, correct?"

"Yeah," I responded, worried about where this is going.

"Then it's simple. You are going to tell Anxiety how you feel before the ball."

"What? I can't do that! The ball's only a month away!"

"You have to. Or else," Patton warned me.

"Or else what?" I challenged.

"Or else I'll tell him myself." I was struck silent.

"What? No! Patton come on!" I complained.

"No, Roman. I know you. You may put up the front that you're brave, but I can tell you're scared. You're at the edge of Love's cliff, and it's not up to you if you'll fly or fall, but it is your decision to jump. Just don't make the wrong one."

"Okay," I whispered, knowing full well that Patton was right.

"Good!" Patton said, standing up. He and Logan began to leave, but he turned around.

"Also make it a good revelation. Anxiety is worth it," Patton reminded me. I sighed.

"Trust me. I know."