Chapter 19 (Virgil)

It had been a few days since Roman popped in on me, and even now I was still furious with him. I don't understand why I had to go through hell and back while Roman was off in his own world doing who know's what. But Roman was no longer my problem to worry about. If the oh-so-busy prince was too busy to bother with me, then I'm not gonna bother with him. Unfortunately for me, my friends had other plans.

Patton popped up in my room one day. He didn't say anything. Just flashed me a smile and dropped a piece of paper then left. I stared at the spot where he had been in confusion, until I remembered the paper. I stooped to get it and immediately sighed when I read it. Golden letters scrawled across the page informed me that I had been invited to a ball, courtesy of Prince Roman.

"Nope," I said gruffly and promptly dropped the invite into the trash can. The next day Logan popped in, and did the same thing. Smile, drop, leave. I looked at the invite. It was the same as the day before, except this time a small "please?" was written on the back. It was somewhat cute, but nonetheless I threw it away again.

The pattern continued. Every day either Patton or Logan would give me an invite, and every day I would throw it in the trash. But before I would, I would read the little note on the back. They had become pickup lines, and even though I was mad at Roman, they made me laugh. I had written a few of them down on my phone just to remember them.

"Are you a magician? Because when I look at you, everyone else disappears."

Or, "Do you have a band-aid? Because I scraped my knee falling for you."

And even, "There are twenty-one letters in the alphabet. Oh wait, I forgot U-R-A-Q-T!"

But despite the fact that my waste bin was almost overflowing with invitations, they kept coming. I finally gave in and kept one, deciding to text Roman.

Virgil: You don't give up do you?

Roman: Trying to get you? No, never

I blushed at the text. Despite my attempts to rid myself of the prince, he kept coming back like a boomerang to my heart.

Roman: Are you coming to the ball?

Virgil: Unfortunately

Roman: Good! I'll see you on Saturday then!

I glanced at the date. It was Friday so the ball was tomorrow. I started worrying. Roman really wanted me to go to the ball, why?

What if he's going to prank you? Make a fool of you? He wouldn't do it to the other sides, he likes them. He's going to embarrass you in front of everyone, I thought as my own anxiety kicked into gear. Just then, Patton appeared, yanking me out of my terrifying thoughts. I stopped him before he could sink down.

"There's no point giving me an invitation," I said waving the one I had finally decided to keep. "I'm going." Patton squealed in delight.

"Yay! I knew you'd come round! What are you gonna wear? Me and Logan are gonna match!" He told me excitedly. I wiggled my eyebrows at him.

"You and Logan? Ooh, someone has a date!" Patton blushed and giggled.

"Shush! You still didn't answer my question: what are you gonna wear?"

"I have absolutely no idea," I told him with a shrug.

"You know what that means! Shopping spree!" Patton dragged me down with him.

"Oh goodness," I muttered with a smile.