Chapter 13 (Roman)

My idea was perfect! I wanted to get Anxiety some sort of hair gel. That way, if he used it, he could keep his bangs out of his face and I would be able to see his gorgeous eyes... But I realized that if I wanted to impress Anxiety, then I would have to step up my game. Just hair gel wouldn't be enough. And with that conclusion, I decided to head to the department store. I strolled through the aisles grabbing things here and there, and in the end I had everything I needed. My theme was apples, so I got a dark brown wicker basket, green ribbon and loads of apple scented hair products. I chose apples because my note was going to say that Anxiety's the apple of my eye. I know, cheesy, but Patton helped me come with it, and he looked so proud of himself when he came up with it, so I couldn't say no. The cashier girl at checkout smiled coyly at me as I placed my items on the conveyor belt.

"What's all this for?" She drawled, leaning forward. I chuckled at her flirting. She was beautiful, there was no doubt about that, but her attempts were futile, as my mind was fully set on someone else.

"Someone special," I told her, not wanting to go into details. Her face fell as she grasped the meaning of my words. She tied up my gift basket quickly and quietly. The girl curtly told me how much I owed, I handed her the money and left, feeling a little bad at shooting her down. I opened the door to Thomas's apartment, looking around for Anxiety. I sighed in relief, when I realized no one was home. I didn't want him to see the gift, and figure out that I was his secret admirer. I turned to close the door, and I heard Anxiety appear behind me. I whipped my head around, quickly hiding the gift behind my back. Anxiety stared at me, confused at my reaction.

"You good Roman?" He inquired.

"Yep!" I said quickly, and tried to dodge around him. But he stopped me in my tracks.

"Why are you leaving so quickly?" He pouted, and my cheeks flushed when I realized he was trying to flirt with me, yet again. "Don't you want to hang out a little more? We can watch a movie?" He asked hopefully. My thoughts whirled in a tornado. I loved that he was flirting with me. It made my heart soar. If this was any other day, I would happily flirt back, but I had to hide the gift, so I did something I would soon come to regret.

"I have to go," I said sharply.

"You, don't... wanna hang with me?" He asked again, desperately hoping for a different answer.

"No. I don't," I said. My heart started to break, as his face crumpled.

Tell him you idiot! Say you didn't mean it! Do something other than just stand there! My thoughts screamed at me. But, I couldn't move. I stood there and stared, and he stared back at me. Suddenly, he snapped and he pivoted and ran to his room.

"Anxiety, wait!" I called, but he paid no heed to me. As he sank down, I caught a glance of his anguished face.

You idiot! Why are you such an idiot... I thought to myself. I tried sinking into his room, but I was blocked. When one of us needs our alone time, we can bar the others out if we try hard enough. I tried time and time again, but couldn't get in. Day after day, Anxiety didn't come out of his room. Thomas began to get sad with each passing day, despite our attempts to cheer him up. But I wasn't doing much better. The guilt weighed down on me like a rock, knowing that I had caused Thomas's inevitable depression, and it began to take tolls on me. One day, I didn't get out of bed. I decided that it was a one-off thing, that the next day I would get up and go out. But the next day came, and nothing happened. Soon I was only leaving my room for food, and when I did go out, I talked to no one. My life became an endless spiral of nothingness.