✙ Chapter 33 ✙

Hey!

What!? Why am I updating so early!? Well, I have finals next week, so I won't be able to write or update then! So, here you go - hope you enjoy this chapter! I'm so sad that this story is coming to an end! Sorry for any mistakes!

~ Lissa

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Nora, you need to stay focused," Caine said, urgently. I pinched my lips together in frustration, keeping my eyes closed. For the last five minutes, I had been seated in one of the leather couches of Drew's office with Caine seated across from me. To be honest, I felt as if I was wasting my time or there was some sort of mistake - maybe he exaggerated on how large the stain on my soul was, meaning I wasn't able to access his magic. It was ridiculous how difficult it was to perfom a simple spell - to light a candle with my mind - and I was growing tired of this. The only thing that was on my mind was Drew who was probably teaching his pack members how to defend themselves again; I could've been helping him with that. "You need to clear your mind."

I opened my eyes. "Okay, this is stupid. It shouldn't be this f*cking difficult to light a candle." I glared at the candle on the table in front of me, angry.

"It takes patience," he told me, calmly. "It's not as easy as it sounds; this is why we're practicing, Nora. You'll need to do things much greater than lighting a candle soon."

"I can't do this," I muttered, shaking my head. "Look, if I was able to reach into your magic, I should've done something by now, like create a spark. But, nothing has happened - it's a sign that you were wrong about the whole destiny crap." He frowned as I tossed my hands into the air, rising to my feet. Running my fingers through my hair, I walked over to Drew's desk where a container of candle rested. I searched through the container until producing a pink Starburst; with a grin, I unwrapped the delicious candy and plopped it into my mouth. Caine released a groan and rose to his feet, approaching me.

"I'm not wrong," he assured me, watching as I tossed the wrapper into a nearby trashcan. "I've seen the future, Nora. And, I assure you, you're the one to defeat Killian with magic."

"You've seen the future?" I asked, raising an eyebrow. "So, you've seen who dies?"

He was silent for a moment. "I've seen glimpses of people fighting, but I haven't seen anybody die. I've seen you fighting Killian, though." I rolled my eyes, realizing that didn't help me solve who was going to die. I grabbed a small chocolate bar from the container, but it was quickly snatched from my hands. I gasped and scowled at him, watching as he shoved the delicous candy into his pocket in a flash. "Come on, you need to stay focused. Lets get back to practicing."

"Maybe you've seen the future wrong," I said, folding my arms across my chest. "You've only seen glimpses - maybe it isn't me who is supposed to defeat Killian."

He tilted his head to one side. "I understand that you're not happy about being the one who has to defeat him - who has to save us all. It's a lot of pressure, but you need to accept your role in this war, Nora." He turned around and walked back to the leather couches, flopping down in his previous seat. I thought about his words for a moment; he was right. I kept making excuses or denying my role in this upcoming war. Caine was capable of many things and despite barely knowing him, I trusted his words. If he said I was supposed to defeat Killian, then he wasn't joking - I was just having a hard time accepting it.

Reluctantly, I walked back to my seat and flopped down with a huff. "Okay, well, get comfortable because we're going to be here for another two hours."