Chapter 1: The Basement

1 The Basement.

          There are millions of movies I have watched. Some are award winning and some are just lame. I sometimes picture myself in one of the movies I like to be in like Titanic. It’s very frantic for me now to think about that while I’m with my boyfriend right now in the movies.

          “My sweetie, Raine are you okay?” Brandon asked. He’s a sweet boyfriend. Ever since he met me at the cafeteria last week after he transferred from another high next to our town. He’s such a hung now asking me if I’m okay. I can see the lightened side of his sincere face. The coldness of the whole place makes me shiver, A little.

          “Of course I’m okay; I’m with you right now.” I took his hand and god! What am I doing? I don’t really like him. I just said yes to be his girlfriend so Harper will stop bragging how cute we were if we’re together. “Let’s go out, I hate this film.” I took his hand and I stood up and so is he. We started to go out.

          In the lobby, he grabbed my wrist and asked “Why? Don’t you like the film?” He looked so vicious and I like it. I wonder what to say next. He’s holding his phone so tight like he wanted to throw it. “This movie is 3D! And it’s expensive! You should’ve told me that you don’t like it from the first place.” His tightened his lips and I pulled my arm away.

          “So what if I don’t like it?” I asked. I generally do this to guys if they really care about me or just the movie or maybe how much they spend for a girl.

The usher looked at us and when I glazed at him he kept himself busy. “If you want to watch your movie, go ahead and watch it. I’m leaving.” I said and I took a few steps leaving him staring at me. I glanced and said “Oh yeah. FYI! We’re over! As in over like Nah-ah!?”  And I walked out of the cinemas. Leaving him embarrassed. I saw the usher grimed and bit his lips.

          I felt like a movie actress. Walking right to the door of the cinemas then my phone rang. It’s Harper.

I want to answer the call but I hanged it up. I wanted to talk to her later. But when I got outside the cinemas, it was raining. The pavement is wet and some passerby was just covering their heads from the rain. The whole place was shimmering due to the lights around and the wetness of the place. Dramatically, I was wet. Under the rain I was waiting for a cab.

Suddenly, I thought the rain stopped but a guy was carrying a gray umbrella had covered me. I was surprised with what this stranger was doing to me right now. I thought about how awful the date I had gone with and this, it’s like a gift saving me from this madness I’m doing. Am I being congratulated for what I did or this is just another turn back?

 “It’s bad for ladies to get wet when waiting for a taxi” He said but he is not looking at me. I don’t know him. I was thinking if I should say thank you or just push him away from me. His smile is cute and shaven beard is all over his jaw which makes him looked so manly. “I’m Lance and you are?” I can all see this since he is taller than me.

I’m really about to say my name but then a taxi stopped on front of us and I just turned away and simply said “Thank you. I got to go.” I slipped inside the cab and closed the door, leaving him surprised. “Let’s move.” I said to the driver. The driver abruptly runs the cab through the wet street.

I’m having another call from Harper. She might havebeen pissed off of what I did to her call earlier. So I decided to talk to her.

“Hey. I’m so sorry I hanged you up earlier but I’m now here at the cab and left Brandon at the movies.” I explained. I saw the driver looked at me from his mirror.

“What happened?” she asked. She sound so surprised for what she heard. “I know and let me say it. You broke up with him.” She spurted it out.

“Okay, at least we reached one week, Right?”

I laughed. And the taxi stopped at the near end of the roundabout. It’s a light traffic but it’s still raining outside. When I looked at the right window another taxi is beside us.

“Whatever Raine! You shouldn’t do that. He’s a cute guy and you look so good together like last week.” Oh yeah like last week when we went out to the school’s garden and we’re holding hands. That was cute. “And hello? Hello?” she trailed off.

“Hello? You’re choppy.” And the line died. I can’t figure out how awful this date was or how cute the Lance guy was. I kind of think what’s wrong with me. Did I left Brandon because it was meant that I will be meeting a new guy? Well, why is there so much of a connection. Okay, then I supposes to stop fantasizing. I better get home as fast as I could. So, after the roundabout the taxi stopped took a right turn to the third street.

Living here in Monte View is quite peaceful. I’ve been living here since I was born. My parents are well-known. Sometimes when I think about that I just wished that it didn’t happened. They’re all over the news for what they have discovered. Oh yeah, my dad died three years ago so I was left with my mom. She said my dad being as a host is being returned from where it came from. Sometimes I still feel him at home. As if he never died.

Just because my mother’s an astronomer she always crank about space or whatever. She became busier after my Dad passed away. She took over Dad’s researches. I never even had seen her mourn. Perhaps that’s just the way she overcome my Dad’s absence.

                              ○○○

When I arrived home, I walked to the back garden where I could sneak in at the back door. No one should find out about this lame date, even nanny. She already caught me once when I had a date with my first boyfriend. I will never let that happen again. Mom doesn’t usually allow me to have boyfriends because she said that I needed to be protected which is weird. Am I still a twelve year old girl? She told me that love is the biggest mistake she ever committed. So what? I like it when a guy kisses me or when I date.

I took the back door key out of my bag and gently opened the door. Inside was our kitchen. A very wide kitchen with high-tech coffee makers and oven, there’s a long bar at the left side and a long center table for food preparation.

I’m barely distracted by the owl-shaped sugar dispenser. It feels like it is looking at me. Perhaps I’m just totally paranoid about getting caught. So I gently closed the door and locked it.

Suddenly I heard footsteps coming from the stairs. I don’t know what to do so I hid under the table. It was nanny. I can’t see her but she’s wearing her favorite sleepers. I can see the end of her robe to her ankles. And she opened the basement’s door beside the refrigerator. What will her going to do in the basement? I decided to come out under the table and take a look what will she going to do there.

When I’m about to touch the knob of the basement’s door, a techno sound’s just played. Darn! It’s my phone! And it is inside my bag under the table. I abruptly ran toward and reached for my bag and turn the phone off. It was Harper who’s calling.

Then a noise’s just spread. It was like a static in a phone or like when the TV had no signal. It was coming from the basement. Then, all lights turned out. I felt dizzy. I wanted to walk but all I can do is to hold on the counter. I felt something strange like sleepy strange. Then I fell asleep.

But I’m not really sleeping. I’m just unconscious. I’m still awake. I can feel myself lying on the kitchen floor under the kitchen table where I took my phone. I can still hear the statics. After a minute or two it stopped.

“Until when will the Gammas be protecting the Chosen one!?” a man shouted. I have no Idea of who this man is.

“I do not know!” My nanny replied. My nanny? Is she talking to the gardener?

“But the Alphas are searching and are trying to release what we are scared of”

“What is it?”

“Back-Contamination.”

“I  assure you that the Queen will hide the occultum aureus.”

I heard them walking back to the basement until everything is in silence.