chapter 8

I swiftly move Axel's long hair off his forehead. I need to get him to a haircutter soon, his hair is getting super long. Axel's breath became normal. He's never in his life had trouble going to bed, he would mostly sleep through the night when he was a baby.

I slowly raise up from his small bed, pulling the blankets tighter around his small body and exiting the room. I see Delilah's door open and I can see Connor step out as I step into my own room. I quickly change from my outfit to some sweatpants and one of Wyatt's old high school football shirts.

I take a seat at the edge of my bed, something in my mind was telling me to open the door and walk out. I turn on my nightstand lamp before I walk over to my door. I grab the door handle, hesitating on opening it.

I shake my head and pull it open, stumbling back as I see Connor standing there, his hand also gripping the doorknob.

"Connor" I whisper.

"I-I," He begins stumbling over his words, "honestly fuck it," he grumbles before stepping up to me, cupping my cheeks, and crashing his lips against mine. I wrap my arms around his neck and he steps closer to me, slamming the bedroom door shut. We share a rough kiss as I fall onto my bed.

That morning I woke up to an empty bed, it was colder than I wished it was warm but I knew Connor had to sneak out before Delilah or Axel woke up. I slowly get out of bed, grabbing a sweater, and walk downstairs. Both kid's doors were closed so they weren't awake yet.

Downstairs I could hear the door opening and closing. I caught a glimpse of Connor walking in shirtless from a run. I walk into the kitchen as he was ripping off his earphones.

"Hey" I smile, he looks over at me as he downs some water.

"Hi pretty," he says softly walking over to me with a smile and lifts my chin. My body was buzzing with heat before I scrunch my nose.

"You smell like the sun" I make a face making him laugh. He runs his thumb over my bottom lip before leaning down and planting a tender kiss on my lips. I lean into him despite his post-run smell.

"Mhm you know I have to get used to that," I say pulling away, he smiles then kisses my cheek. I certainly could get used to it. I don't know what overcame either of us last night but the kiss, well multiple kisses we shared last night was pure happiness and pure lust a bit. We fell asleep talking and it was one of the best sleep I've gotten since Axel was born.

"I'm going to go take a shower," He says stepping back.

"Alright, I'll start on breakfast" I hear footsteps and around comes Delilah around the corner with my son on her hip.

"Morning!" Axel exclaims loudly, Delilah smiles at us as Connor slips out of the kitchen and up the stairs.

"Grab the eggs for me D, let me turn on the tv for Axel" she nods and I pick up Axel placing him on the couch before turning on the tv for him.

After about an hour and a half later we were doing last-minute stuff touch up's before we go to church. My phone rings in my dress pocket and I pick it up, placing it between my ear and shoulder.

"Hello?" I question not looking at the Caller ID.

"Hello Sweetheart" I stand up immediately at the voice, stumbling away to leave Delilah to finish tying Axel's shoes.

"Mother," I let out in a rough voice and a tightened jaw.

"Explain to me why the hell I woke up this morning with my daughter and her son on every damn newspaper on newspaper stands everywhere in the world!" she yells. Connor steps into the kitchen, I turn around.