chapter 24

Delilah's POV

"Hi, beautiful" I look to my right to see Blake leaning on the lockers beside me.

"Hey" I smile as I switch out my books "How were your first three periods?" I give him a look, non-verbally telling him mine did not go as smoothly as I had hoped. He chuckles.

"Okay, the same," He lifts a shoulder, as he shuts my locker for me. "Want to head out tomorrow for dinner?" He randomly asks. I assume our friends, Ben and Kathleen will be coming too, we always do things in a group

"What's the occasion?" I ask him as he throws an arm around my shoulders.

"Valentines Day."

"Oh, so I'm your valentine?" I tease him, we stop and I look up at him.

"I-I," He stares at me completely shocked and awkward even, I chuckle smiling up at him.

"I'm kidding," I assure him patting his strong jaw

"Your such a tease," He rolls his eyes and pulls me closer to him, I shrug. The ground of the school shakes and everyone in the busy halls stops and looks around.

"Someone blowing up firecrackers?" I hear someone asks. I see smoke coming from the windows and everyone walks over to the window.

"I don't think that's firecrackers idiot" another person speaks up. We hear yells from down the stairs. A gunshot goes off and everyone ducks, I turn my head to see everyone from down the hall running this way.

"Run!" People scream. I was pushed forward as I stare at the people running. Blake pulls on my arm and I look forward.

"Delilah!" I hear Blake yell. I had lost him amongst the chaos of the students

"Blake!" I yell I was now moving with the crowd. "Blake!" I yell again.

"Delilah!" I hear my name being called one last time before I was pushed into a classroom.

"Come on, everyone into the corner of the class" the teacher demands, and we all rush towards the furthest corner in the classroom.

"Delilah," Someone calls, I look up to see Blake's best friend, Ben. He pushes me in front of him as we rush over to the corner. The teacher locks the door. I hadn't even noticed Ben was in here with me. "Where's Blake?" Ben asks looking around.

"We got split up in the hallway chaos," I tell him anxiously spinning my ring around my finger.

"Everyone keep quiet" the teacher instructs us. We fall into a hushed silence and I pull out my phone with shaking hands. We hear feet running around the halls.

"Blake's okay, he's in the class down the hall" Ben whispers assuring me. I nod and text the group chat with the Fosters. Grace was at a board meeting but should've been coming back to school right now. I then texted Connor,

Connor~ I love you. Thank you for everything.

I hear people screaming for help outside and then gunshots. Some people were whimpering. And I turn off my phone. It was then quiet in the halls.

"We're all gonna die aren't we?" A girl asks.

"Don't say that" Ben rolls his eyes. I refrain from telling him to shut up but I'm too nervous.

"These school shootings never go right, it's either we all die or we all live," someone says again.

"Shh," the teacher demands.

"Did you turn your phone off?" Ben whispers to me, I nod my head. Rubbing my hands as they shake.

Ben holds out his phone for me "It's Blake." I take the phone and stare at the text. He had asked me if I was okay, I replied with a yes and said I was with Ben. He texts back immediately saying okay and that we'll all be okay. I didn't know how else to answer so I was about to hand back the phone to Ben. Until the bubble popped up.