chapter 10

The kids at school had their first nonuniform day. At the private school, I work at they wear uniforms. Boys were the white suit shirts, and navy ties, with khakis and black shoes. Girls could either way a skirt or dress and white or navy shirts, and black shoes. But today was different. Most kids were in Halloween costumes. Teachers and assistants didn't really dress up so we dressed in our formal work clothes.

"Morning Miss Foster," a few students say as I pass them in the hallway.

"Morning girls" I smile at them as I open the door to the therapy office. Kennedy was sitting at the front desk. We take turns at the front desk when one of us isn't busy. There are usually three of us in our small office, we have a secretary, but she is actually on a small leave because her mother is sick so Kennedy and I spilt our time at the desk.

"Ouuu you look cute!" Kennedy gushes at me and I roll my eyes but thank her. "I can't wait to see what Axel looks like," She says as I enter my office and set my bag down.

"You look cute too, Miss Dorothy. If you tap your heels together are you gonna vanish on me and be at home?"I chuckle as I step into my office setting my bags down.

"Ha. Ha. Ha, you are just jealous of my shoes, they are amazing," She says turning around in the chair and showing me her shoes as I lean on my doorframe.

"They are nice," I nod, "How did you find a pair of them?" I ask her. She shrugs and turns back around. I shake my head laughing. "Kenny, you never cease to leave me amazed," I say as I push off the doorframe and back into my office, about to start another busy day at work.

Just like in New York, everyone seemed to thrive during Halloween. I kind of missed Halloween and fall in New York, autumn is my favorite time of year and you don't really experience it here when it's still just as hot and sunny as opposed to back home where it's cold and the leaves begin to change. I miss that but I don't miss the toxic atmosphere I was in.

"I can't wait to take this off," Delilah mumbles as we exit the car. Connor had picked up Axel from daycare today.

"Aww you make a cute Cher from Clueless," I nudge her as she unlocks the door. She easily throws me an eye roll from across her shoulder and I laugh.

"it's because I'm blonde isn't it?" She asks me.

"No," I laugh, "Cher was cute in that movie and so are you?" I shrug as I close the door behind me. She doesn't have time to reply when Axel comes running in with his fake rope that goes along with his costume.

"Howdy partner," Axel exclaims. Both Delilah and I laugh, I crouch down to receive my son's hug. Delilah tells us she's gonna go change and I nod at her as I lift him up.

"Aren't you the cutest little cowboy," I greet my son with a kiss on his cheek as I tip his cowboy hat.

"Absolute cutest," A voice says. I look up to see Cassie getting up from the couch. I flash her a smile as I set Axel back on his feet, "and you are a cute Jessie," She chuckles, Axel tugs me to the kitchen.

"I thought Connor was home," I say confused.

"He was but then had to go help Keegan with something for his party no doubt and I'm off so Axel and I had a fun time playing dinosaurs," She says flashing Axel a smile as I hand him a go-go squeeze.

"Well, mind watching him for a couple of minutes? I need to go change," I whisper. She waves me off and Axel takes her hand willingly to take him back to the living room. As I walk back upstairs, Delilah comes bouncing down in a pair of jeans and a navy blue crewneck.

"I'm going to pour out the candy!" Delilah yells.

"bottom cupboard!" I tell her, she hums in response.