chapter 12

I watch all the kids from the kid church group come running out. Axel was standing beside Connor, he lifts him up with a smile and places him on his lap. I lean over Connor.

"Hi bubs," I greet him, he shows me his coloring of the rosary and I smile. We all stand up and Connor places him on his hip.

"We'd like to take a minute for those who have lost their lives this past week during the Washington mass shooting," Father says, I look over at Connor quickly and he was shifting his weight.

"All those lives who were taken away far too fast. All those lives that still had life to live. May the Lord take them in his arms and allow them into his kingdom. May those souls Rest In Peace" I hear movement behind me and I look over to see Keegan leaving. The church fell silent.

And then we continued the mass. Kennedy excuses herself to go and check on Keegan.

Axel was handed to Wyatt as Connor gets up and leaves. I watch him walk to the back. After communion, he retakes his seat beside me.

"You Alright?" I whisper, he nods and unbuttons his suit jacket. I lace my hand with his and give it a tight squeeze. The four of us walk out of the church to see the band talking to a few people. Kennedy was off to the side talking to Father.

"Hello, Axel and Grace," a nice elderly lady says.

"Hello Mrs. Kane" I smile at her.

"Such a shame what happened to them" she points out to the band talking in a tight circle not too far from us. "Poor souls having to go through something like that" I look back over at her.

"It is sad. Connor's doing okay though, slowly recovering," I tell her.

"I saw the footage sweetheart as everyone else did. I'm not surprised he's not doing well" She gives me a smile. I nod "well sweetheart give him my love and prayers, I'll see you next week."

"Of course. Until next week Mrs. Kane," I tell her, she gives us a wave as Delilah meets us at the bottom of the stairs. We walk over to the group to see the band going their different ways, we wave at them as they disperse.

"lunch?" Wyatt asks we all nod. Wyatt then drives off to the nearest Olive Garden, as we're getting out I could hear cameras flashing. I slide on some sunglasses as I pass Axel to Delilah.

Connor walks over to me and throws an arm over my shoulders "are you Alright, you know from church" I ask, he looks down at me then smiles.

"I'm fine Beauty" he kisses my cheek. Wyatt was walking in front of us with Kennedy and the kids were just ahead of them.

"Connor!" I hear and we turn around to see Paparazzi. I look up at Connor and he smiles.

"Hi, guys" Connor greets nicely like he always does, no matter how annoyed he is with the paparazzi, they follow us as we make the long walk to the restaurant.

"So Connor is it true that your old Manger, Nathan sexually assaulted your girlfriend" the reporter looks over at me and I roll my eyes behind my sunglasses as Connor squeezes my hand.

"No, he didn't the day we fired him was their first interaction. That's it" Connor pulls me into his side more.

"And your father and step-sister? What's going on?" Another one asks.

"Family stuff" he shrugs ending the conversation there. He has expressed who wants to keep the situation with Delilah and his father private ever since he sued his dad.

"And the shooting? You guys went back to give them a concert at the hospital. How was that?" another voice asks.

"It went well. Told everyone that they aren't alone and we are in this together and gave us a bit of closure we needed," Connor responds nicely.