chapter 26

My hands trail over Connor's abs as his knuckle creases my cheek. It was hours after the wedding and neither of us could sleep after what Blake had told us. Connor pushes a strand of hair behind my ear before letting out a sigh, I nuzzle my head deeper into his chest trying to make any of this situation better.

He had been staring at the connecting door that was left open since Connor spent the first hour we got back making sure Delilah was okay. I watch him carefully. He rubs his eyes and then slowly detaches himself from me. I watch him get up and walk over to the door, disappearing into the darkroom that wasn't filled with moonlight. I slowly sit up on the bed, rubbing my forehead.

I had tried to get some sleep that night, I did but every time I closed my eyes I just imagined the drawings she had been drawing to express her emotions. And I felt guilty because I'm the therapist, I should know when someone isn't feeling right. I also couldn't help but noticed when the edge of the bed dipped, meaning Connor finally came back. I slowly open my eyes to see him at the edge of the bed, hunched over flipping through something. I sit up and he doesn't acknowledge I'm awake. I crawl my way over to the end of the bed and place my chin on his shoulder. I watch him flip through her art book, her emotions finally letting loose.

"I'm doing something wrong" he whispers. "I should've known that she would be one of the many people traumatized by the shooting. She assured me she was okay and I believed her" he closes the book and I slowly take it from him.

"She's reserved, you really wouldn't have known babe. You're not doing anything wrong. You're showing her you care and that she can come to you for anything, give her time to come to you, she knows your here" I move around him, playing the ends of his hair as he pulls me a bit onto his lap.

"I just wish she knows she could trust me and tell me anything," He sighs, I nod slowly palming his cheek.

"I know, she does trust you but you have to be patient, she will come to you when she's ready" I watch him close his eyes and sigh, he reopens his eyes and I smile, he kisses my cheek.

"You know I love you" I smile as I look up at him. He pulls me onto his lap and I giggle.

"I love you too" I whisper as I lean down and kiss him.

Days after the wedding are more hectic, with school picking up and the band struggling to get their album done and ready. Most of the time I'm going to bed right after I put Axel to bed.

"Alright kiddos out of here, let's go," I say as I walk into the music room of our house.

"What? They were just getting started" Delilah whines. I place a tray of lemonade on the coffee table. She and Connor had sat down together and talked about what was in her sketchbook, I didn't ask what had happened but I knew they both felt lighter in the end. I didn't ask because it's simply not my place,

"Come on, let's go," I tell the two stubborn teens, Delilah and her friend Kathleen have been hanging out at the house all day. Having two teens, a son, and a whole band in this damn house, it's making me go crazy.

"We were helping!" Kathleen jokes and Delilah chuckles. I shake my head at the two, it's nice to see Delilah connecting with Kathleen, I think they make a great pair. Kathleen's parents are overseas so it's easy for her to feel alone, I think they both make sure neither one of them feels alone.

Delilah and Kathleen sigh before standing up "let's go play Mario Cart, we have to try and beat the boys at least once," Delilah tells her friend. Their murmuring carries them out of the music room.

"Now before I get an even worse headache I'm heading out with Axel," I tell Connor.

"Don't forget to pick yourself up some medicine okay," He tells me rubbing my back, I nod. "Harrison's going right?" He asks.