The boy in the flower shop

"I think tulips would be perfect for the wedding, especially if it's more of a colorful setting, we have purple ones just over there ma'am." You said with a kind smile to the middle aged woman in front of you.

"Thank you so much honey." She said with a thankful face, walking towards the direction you pointed to. You've worked at this flower shop in down town New York for nearly two years now, and although it wasn't your ideal job, you loved it.

You had knowledge on plants, especially flowers, and the owner was a family friend so you got in pretty easily. It was a great job, surrounded by beautiful flowers, floral scent in the air and the entire shop bright and full of life, you would work here even if it didn't include pay.

You loved seeing the looks on people's faces when they found the perfect flowers for whatever occasion they needed them for, there was a sense of unbridled happiness that came with flowers.

Another reason you loved this job is because you didn't have to dress like you were going to a party everyday. You were wearing a slightly oversized cream colored sweater, the front tucked slightly into your fitted boyfriend jeans, combat boots to top it all off.

You looked put together and cute without looking super uptight and formal, although your hair was thrown up in a messy ponytail, it worked for the look. You held a notepad and pen to your chest, to take down requests or orders.

Your head perked up as you heard the familiar bell ring on the door, signaling someone had walked in. Your eyes widened slightly as you saw him. His hair was neatly styled, not too neatly, just enough. He was wearing a white button up with the sleeves rolled up to his elbows and skinny jeans to go with it.

He looked like the heartbreakingly handsome boys you'd read about in romance novels, and it made your heart beat a little faster. You quickly snapped out of your thoughts as he glanced over.

You turned around, casually. Just a boy, don't be so fucking obvious you said to yourself. You focused on your work, writing down different orders that people had sent in at the front desk, trying not to focus on the boy in the flower shop that put all other boys to shame.

You had almost forgotten about him until you heard a voice come from behind you at the front desk. You turned around, your eyes widening again slightly as you saw him again. "I think I need some help." He said with a soft chuckle, his blue eyes like the ocean and his smile bright.

He also had an accent, the perfect contrast to his deep but somehow smooth and gentle voice. You kept your cool, acting as nonchalant as possible, he was just a boy after all, a really good looking one. "Sure, what is it that you need help with?" You asked politely.

"I need something called a Prairie gentian, do you guys sell those here?" He asked. "Yes we do, I'll show you where they are if you'd like?" You offered. His face lit up, a sigh of relief coming from his pink lips. "Yes please, that would be great." He said.

You walked out from behind the desk and motioned for him to follow you. You brought him to the section of rare flowers that you kept more towards the middle of the large shop.

"So, these are usually native to warm regions of South America, or places like Mexico and the Caribbean, so I would recommend keeping them in a warmer space. In front of a window or even outside, somewhere where harsh weather won't effect them would be perfect." You said, turning towards him.

He let out a chuckle, looking at the flower and then to you. "You know a hell of a lot more about flowers than I do, but I guess if you work in a flower shop you kinda have to aye?" He said, a smile on his handsome features. "I guess so, I knew a little bit about them before I'd say, I just find them really intriguing." You said, trying not to giggle too much at his adorable accent.

"How so?" He asked, a grin on his face as he turned towards you, his eyes focused on your own face. "Well, I think it's really cool how they can all be different, from different places, different colors, but all so beautiful. It reminds me of people, how we can all be so different but the same and have this unspoken connection to one another through certain things." You said, your cheeks heating up a bit as you realized how dorky you probably sounded.

"I'm sorry, that was probably really dramatic, but it's how I feel I guess." You said with a shy laugh, tucking a strand of hair behind your ear. You hadn't realized how concentrated he had been on your words. "Don't apologize, it was perfect. There aren't many people that think like you left, it makes me happy to know there's still beautiful souls in the world." He said, sincerity in his voice.

Your cheeks got hot once again. "So, must be someone special you're getting these flowers for, any one in particular?" You asked, casually trying to ask if it was for a girlfriend, fully expecting it to be. How could he NOT have a girlfriend?

He chuckled, his laugh was one of those that made you happy just hearing it. "They're for my mom, it's her birthday and these are her favorite flowers, I've searched everywhere for them and couldn't find them until now." He said.

"Guess today is your lucky day." You said. He turned, a smile on his face and a slight sparkle in his blue eyes. "I guess it is, y/n." He said, glancing down to your name tag. "My names Dacre, by the way." He said, holding out his hand, which you shook. "Nice to meet you Dacre, how many flowers would you like?" You asked with a playful smile.

"Hmm, give me 12, that's a good amount right?" He asked, unsure. You giggled, taking 12 flowers from the cylinders of water they were resting in. "Yes I think so, it will be a perfect Boquet." You said. You walked back with him to the front desk, prepping the flowers.

"Can I watch? How you prep the flowers?" He asked, curious of the process. You let out a chuckle. "Sure." You said, showing him. You first cut the stem, so the flowers could absorb more water when put into a vase, you then took biodegradable ribbon and wrapped it around the flowers to keep them together, and tied a bow at the front for decoration.

"Which wrapping plastic would you like to go around the flowers?" You asked him. "Um, that one." He said, pointing to a holographic one. "Going for the flashy look huh?" You asked with a laugh at his choice of aesthetics for the flowers. "Guess so, go big or go home right?" He replied with a chuckle.

You finished prepping the flowers and placed them in a small bag for him to carry, rounding up his price. He payed and took the bag out of your hands, a thankful look on his face. "Have a nice day Dacre, I hope your mom likes the flowers." You said with a kind smile, a little sad to see him go.

He looked like he had something he was about to say. "You know, since you know so much about flowers, i'd love if you could teach me how to do this all of this again, over dinner." He said with a smile, a hopeful look on his features. You were taken aback, surprised this gorgeous boy was actually asking you out.

"Well, I do like to spread my knowledge to the people, so that sounds great." You said with a smile. His face lit up a bit. "Great, that's great. When are you free?" He asked kindly. "Tomorrow, is that a good time for you?" You asked. "Tomorrow is perfect." He replied with a giddy smile. You couldn't help but smile at his pronunciation of words due to his mesmerizing accent.

You both exchanged numbers and he waved goodbye to you. You saw him walk out with the same smile on his face, making your heart warm. Who would have thought the gorgeous boy in the flower shop would have asked you out? Life felt really great, and you were incredibly happy.

Hi! I literally loved writing this, I love situations like this, I also realized I'd be a hella good florist lmao. Hope you all enjoyed this as well! Thanks for all the support! 🌺❤️xx