Chapter 2: Conversation on a Bus

December 9, 1980

Angie stepped out of the hospital into the frosty atmosphere of the winter night. The past four months at the hospital were very productive for her. She never felt happier in her life, working with her wonderful coworkers, and helping people and getting to know them. The job paid handsomely as well, she even got an apartment of her own that was a half hour bus ride away from the hospital. She could even take the subway if she wanted to. It was only three train stops from the hospital to her house, but she had to walk a few blocks. She was happy that she was self-sufficient at the age of twenty-two, which was pretty young in her book.

The streets of New York City were surprisingly dull and listless, in contrast to all the usual excitement going on around her as all the commuters walking past Angie were looking like zombies right now. There was nothing but dead silence, apart from the honks of car horns, the blue and gray fishbowl buses and yellow taxi cabs passing by, and the roaring of the graffiti-covered trains resonating from the sidewalk subway grates. It was somewhat appropriate due to the events of last night, as Angie herself was quite subdued.

As she reached the bus stop, she undid her tight bun, letting down her thick, unmanageable curly hair while breathing out a sigh of relief. She always loved wearing her natural kinky curls down, but rules are rules in the hospital. She then rummaged through her purse for change for the bus. As her back was turned for a second, she heard a masculine voice say,

"Excuse me, miss?"

Angie whirled around, debating on whether to get her mace ready to aim and fire. Her eyes widened and her heart nearly shot out of her when she saw none other than Austin, the tall, handsome repairman. She never thought she would see him again.

"Is this bus going up-- have I seen you before?" Austin asked.

"Yes," Angie replied breathlessly. After realizing what she had just said, blood rushed to her cheeks, as she stammered out,

"No! I mean-- I... I suppose so...."

Austin smiled amusedly. "I think I did a plumbing job at that penthouse a few months back with my coworker, something about a pipe closed wrong. You were there, about to graduate the following week," he said.

"Well, I'm not the type of person to jive talk but... yeah, that was me," Angie replied, conceding defeat.

"Oh, how you been?" Austin greeted, flashing a smile, the braces gleaming in the brown streetlights.

"I've been great, loving my job," Angie smiled back.

"Oh, good," Austin said, rather pleased.

He held out his hand. "I'm Austin, and you are?" he asked.

"Angela, but you can call me Angie," Angie introduced, despite knowing his name already, shaking his calloused, but soft hand. Angie loved holding his hand.

"Angie," Austin repeated. "That's a nice name, Angie."

"You can thank my mom for the idea," Angie replied shyly.

Austin only smiled at her gently. Angie was always captivated by his smile, no matter if he showed teeth or not.

"I almost forgot to ask you," Austin spoke up, a hint of laughter in his voice. "Is this bus going uptown?"

"Yep, you're good to go," Angie replied.

"Oh, good," Austin said, relieved." 'Cause my job relocated around here, and I'm not that familiar with this area."

A scratched up fishbowl bus pulled up in front of them now, and the two of them willingly got in, paid their fares, and took seats next to each other. Angie soon noted that through the fluorescent white lights of the bus, Austin was much more pale, in contrast to his tanned skin earlier on. Maybe it was because of the impending harsh winter.