Chapter 16: Mr. and Mrs. Phillips

December 9, 1983

Austin tightened his black tie and looked at himself in the mirror. He felt that his heart was going to jump out of his system. He took a deep breath to soothe him from his nervousness, it didn't work. Today was the day he waited twenty-two years of his whole life for; he was getting married to the love of his life, Angela Carver. He was looking forward to his wedding day, but all he felt was anxiety. He was so worried that he hadn't perfected his responsibilities, and had recurring thoughts that wouldn't be husband material. That night when he proposed to Angie on her birthday, he said to her that he wouldn't care about what ignorant people would say, but a part of him thought that he would be bluffing because everyone knew that Austin was a sensitive guy.

He rubbed his face with his hands at that thought. Throughout his past relationships, things always ended up sour. He loved Angie with every fiber of his being and didn't want their marriage to end up in shambles. Austin hadn't seen Angie in two whole days, plus this morning, since his parents and Angie's mother are superstitious, his mother the most superstitious of all. They only communicated through telephone these past few days. If that doesn't steer them clear from bad luck in their marriage, Austin didn't know what will. But there's this feeling of darkness following him. He just didn't know why.

Austin threw on his elegant blazer over his dress shirt and tie, spending the last few minutes of his life as a single man. He couldn't wait to put that life aside and be with Angie forever. As a last resort, he knelt to the ground, made the sign of the Cross, and said a quick prayer, putting this in God's hands. Just after he finished praying and made a sign of the Cross in closing, Chris, one half of his two best men, Brad being the other half, came in the room, almost stopping Austin's heart.

"Austin!" Chris yelled.

"Oh, Chris, I didn't know you were there," Austin replied, with a little laugh.

"It's almost showtime," Chris said, with the same New York accent Austin has. "The minister's waitin', man!"

"Already?" Austin questioned.

"Um, yes," Chris replied, with a chuckle.

"Oh," was only Austin said.

Chris then scrutinized Austin. "You alright?" he asked.

"Yeah, I'm alright, just nervous," Austin replied.

"I could see that, you look scared to death," Chris said knowingly. "But why though? You're getting married to your number one girl, you should be excited!"

"I am excited, Chris," Austin replied, smiling forcefully. Then his face fell. "It's just that my life's changing before my eyes, I mean, by the end of tonight, I won't be plain old Austin Phillips anymore, I'll be Austin Phillips, Angela Carver's husband," he explained, with a sigh.

"So?"

"So, it's nerve-wracking to me, I feel as if a dark cloud is following me like something bad's gonna happen between us in the long run, I just know it, with all the ignorant people around us, and I don't know if I'll be a good husband."

"Austin, Austin," Chris sighed, putting his arms around Austin's shoulders. "You and Angie have the strongest love that I have ever seen in a long time."

"You really mean that, Chris?" Austin asked, shocked.

"Yeah, you've gone through obstacles with diligence just to get here, like winning over Angie's mom from her long-lasting grudge against people like you and me, and getting that horrible, disgusting man that came before you out of your lives, Jermaine or something..."

"Oh, please don't say his name, Chris," Austin cut in. "It's my wedding day, I ain't gonna have no negativity in my life today," he said, his accent thick.