Chapter 4: First Date

April 1981

Angie walked over to her usual bus stop, after a long day's work. Nonetheless, she managed to put a smile on her face, because she was going to see Austin again. It was almost a month since his wrist got injured, and Angie had to cast him up. She never forgot the look on his face while she was putting on the cast. She couldn't quite pinpoint it. She couldn't tell if it was a look of amazement or lust, or him being just lovestruck. Whatever that look was, she was surprised that she kept her composure; she was about to go weak in the knees. She didn't know if it was wrong to think about a nineteen-year-old like this, but he looked so hot while he was looking at her.

Her phone was ringing off the hook these past few weeks while Austin was recuperating from his sprained wrist. They would have their same conversations and jokes, the only thing different is how his voice was deeper on the phone than in person, giving her a significant amount of chills. Austin made Angie feel a certain way like no other man did, not even...

"Angela!" a painfully familiar voice called.

Oh, hell no.

Angie whirled around to see none other than her ex-boyfriend Jermaine, strolling towards her with a sly smile on his face, making Angie's skin crawl. She hadn't seen him for almost a year, and now she's wondering what the hell compelled him to come back to her.

"What are you doing here, Jermaine?" Angie asked curtly, crossing her arms.

"Oh, well hello to you, babe," Jermaine replied.

"Don't you call me that," Angie snapped. You lost the privilege to call me in any term of endearment after you fucked my best friend.

"Damn, somebody's a little catty tonight," Jermaine said, clearly enjoying this.

"And you haven't answered my question," Angie replied.

"So you own this area?" Jermaine asked.

Angie just stood there fuming at the fact that Jermaine had the audacity to face her with that awful yellow teethed clown's grin on his face, after everything he'd done to her.

"Look, you can't keep on avoiding me over one small mistake," Jermaine protested.

Angie stood there in shock at what he just said. You've got to be kidding me.

"Small?!" Angie exclaimed. "Do you realize the pain you put me through after I found out that you slept with my best friend at that party you literally begged on your knees for me to come?! Making me look like a fool?!"

"I know, and I said I was sorry!"

"Sorry? That's all you have to say?" Angie asked coldly. "May I remind you that I've lost a good friend that I have known since junior high at the hands of a slimy, scrub, womanizing manslut, piece of shit like you," Angie spat out.

"You gonna regret what you just said to me, girl," Jermaine growled menacingly.

"What you gonna do?" Angie challenged.

Jermaine sighed. "Can we just start over?" he asked. "Just drop the whole shit with me and Camille."

"Drop it?" Angie asked. "You tore my heart up and got me all depressed, damn near killing myself, because you fucked Camille, and you gonna sit here and say 'drop it'?! I had to go to goddamn therapy sessions because I had no clue that my own boyfriend and my best friend, who I considered as a sister to me, would ever do that shit!"

"I wish there was something I could say," Jermaine only replied.

"There ain't nothing you can say, now you need to get lost," Angie said.