Chapter 19: A New Family

February 1986

Angie sat in the nurses' station with excitement and anxiety. She was waiting on the results on her pregnancy test, to give her some clarity on whether she was pregnant or not. She had missed her period, which had never happened to her before. So there was a huge possibility that she may be pregnant, given that she just remembered that she made love to Austin without any protection at one point. But there may be a chance that her period would come late. She just needed to be sure. Maria was there with her for moral support when she hears the verdict.

She was torn about the fact of being pregnant. A part of her was feeling very excited because she always wanted to be a mother, even back when she was a child when playing house with her dolls. It would be a very pleasant surprise for her and Austin too, as he himself wanted children of his own. However, a part of her was very nervous, given the thought of having morning sickness, having a baby kick inside her, keeping her up late at night, and most importantly labor pains. She can't fathom having that feeling.

Despite those feelings, Angie thought that she and Austin were ready, willing and able to raise a child now that they perfected their finances and responsibilities, and were now living comfortably. Throughout the marriage, Angie and Austin fell into a comfortable routine, much to her surprise. She was always under the impression that things would be unbearably hard, but she was proven wrong. They went about doing their jobs, earning their paychecks and splitting the bills between them, which made it easier for Angie to manage paying for rent and utilities, now that Austin moved into her apartment and was willing to help her in any way he could. However, they had small arguments about the bills, but the remarkable thing about Austin is how he had the ability to admit that he's wrong about certain things, which was hard to come by with men these days. And despite their hectic schedules, they would always find time to spend with each other, whether it would be going out to eat, going on a joyride. At their honeymoon, Austin told her that he will make time for Angie and he kept his promise.

If she is indeed pregnant, it would cause Austin complete joy, given the fact that he always wanted to be a father. Without a shadow of a doubt, Angie knew that he'll be a great father to their children, knowing that he was great with other kids. She was just worried about his reaction, on whether or not to run for the hills if Austin was his mother's son, screaming insanely while thanking God.

Her train of thought derailed when Rachel, another nurse, and Angie's good friend came in with the test results.

"Alright, Ang, you ready?" Rachel asked.

"I was born ready, Rach, now what's the verdict?" Angie replied warily, Maria taking Angie's hand in hers.

"Well, Angie... you are indeed pregnant, a month in, by the way," Rachel said, with a smile.

Angie's eyes widened and let out a joyful shriek, hugging Maria, while Maria did the same. All the anxiousness of having a child completely wooshed out of her and all that was left was complete joy.

"Oh, my God, Angie, congrats mija!" Maria exclaimed.

"Wow, I'm really pregnant," Angie said, taken aback at this sudden news.

"Wonder how Austin's gonna respond to this, knowing that he's gonna be a dad soon," Rachel said.

"All I can say is that with all due respect to Mrs. Phillips, I hope Austin's not his mother's son," Angie replied.

"Oh, yeah," Maria agreed, while Rachel nodded her head knowingly.

"So how're you feeling now?" Rachel asked.

"Overwhelmed," Angie replied breathlessly. "But I'm just so happy!"

"Well, we're happy for you," Rachel smiled.