Chapter 15: Angie's Birthday

July 15, 1983

Austin looked at himself in the mirror for the first time since this morning, after his life altering procedure took place. He had just taken his braces off, after getting them in since he was eighteen years old. He was twenty-one going on twenty-two this November. He was at the orthodontist's office now, with Brad accompanying him for moral support. He opened his mouth and examined his newly perfect teeth, his tongue licking them.

"Well, Austin, what do you think?" Austin's orthodontist asked.

Austin was at a loss for words at what he looked like right now.

"Well, Doc, I think he's in love right now," Brad quipped.

"I sure am," Austin murmured in agreement, still looking at himself and licking his teeth.

Austin's orthodontist chuckled. "I told you, Austin, patience and perseverance always rewards you," he said. "Flash that smile, and the ladies are gonna come knocking at your door."

Austin shook his head in disagreement. "Ah, ah, Doctor, I have a girlfriend," he warned, facing his orthodontist and Brad. "By the way, it's her birthday today."

"Well, your smile's gonna be one of the best birthday presents she ever had."

Today was Angie's twenty-fifth birthday. And she was in for a real treat tonight. Austin was taking her out to their favorite restaurant, Cheyenne's. May twenty-fifth of this year made it two years since they became a couple. From all this time, he never felt more happy being with her than with anybody else other than his family. He wanted to be near her always, to hear her sweet and sultry voice and her sense of humor, to be at the receiving end of her care, and he certainly can't get enough of her hugs and kisses, to the point where he daydreamed of spending his life with her. He loved her so much that he was thinking to propose to her. He even had her engagement ring already, he just didn't know when the time was right. He just hoped that today's events would lead to that moment.

"I can't thank you enough for this," Austin replied. "I feel like a new man."

"You're welcome, now here's what I want you to do..." the orthodontist started.

The orthodontist gave instructions on how to take care of his newly perfected teeth, and if he's still in any pain from the removal, he would take one painkiller.

"Don't worry, I'm sure his birthday girl would wipe his pain away," Brad joked, making Austin elbow him in the arm furiously, but playfully.

"I told you not to do that!" he hissed.

The orthodontist chuckled. "Well, go see the nurse, get the paperwork done, and have a good time with your girlfriend, Austin," he said.

Brad smiled sheepishly, making Austin glare at him.

"I will, Doctor, thanks again," Austin said, smiling forcefully.

After discharge, Brad and Austin got inside Brad's car, Austin wasting no time giving Brad a little slap upside his head without hurting him that much.

"Oww!" Brad exclaimed, rubbing his head. "What the hell was that?"

"Did you really have to embarrass me in front of the dentist?" Austin asked furiously. "You have no shame, you know that?"

"Tsk!" Brad sucked his teeth. "Austin, stop being a kid, will you? You've been with her for two years! You gotta be proud of it!"

"That's not the point, Brad," Austin groaned. "I am proud of it, I am! It's just that.... did you really have to say Angie's gonna wipe my pain away?"